New LED lighting for half the price

/ New LED lighting for half the price #21  
Switching the hot leg is far easier, so long as current doesn't exceed capacity of switch. A couple of traditional lights can easily exceed switch specs. LED is less likely so.

That's kind of what I thought. Thank you!

/ New LED lighting for half the price #22  
I just ordered a switch from Amazon; GB Electrical GSW-11. It looks like it is rated 20A/120V AC and 10A/250V AC. This would seem to be plenty heavy for two LED lights on 12 V DC. Am I correct?

/ New LED lighting for half the price #23  
I just ordered a switch from Amazon; GB Electrical GSW-11. It looks like it is rated 20A/120V AC and 10A/250V AC. This would seem to be plenty heavy for two LED lights on 12 V DC. Am I correct?

Plenty heavy indeed. However, that switch is not waterproof. May not be a show-stopper, but on a tractor I often use marine-grade switches in order to not fret should the tractor sleep outside.

/ New LED lighting for half the price #24  
I don't know why, but I installed 3 LED lights on my little Case and all three burned out after about 10 hours of use. I replaced them with standard Halogen lights. They were great while they lasted.

/ New LED lighting for half the price #25  
I don't know why, but I installed 3 LED lights on my little Case and all three burned out after about 10 hours of use. I replaced them with standard Halogen lights. They were great while they lasted.

Do you recall exactly which lights you bought and where you got them? A lot of them look VERY similar and maybe are the exact same light. Probably a foreign manufacturer?

/ New LED lighting for half the price #26  

Some tractors, like smaller Kabota's, do not have an alternator. They devices that they use to charge the battery puts out more of a pulsed D.C. voltage, and that is what burns out the LED's.

/ New LED lighting for half the price #27  
Plenty heavy indeed. However, that switch is not waterproof. May not be a show-stopper, but on a tractor I often use marine-grade switches in order to not fret should the tractor sleep outside.

Duhh (smacks forehead) that's what "marine grade" means. I guess it's not too big a deal. If the switch dies from getting wet, I'll just spend another $5 or $10 and plan to get a marine grade next time.

/ New LED lighting for half the price #28  
As Mike said, auto switches tend to not like high amperage, and are prone to a quicker death when operating high amp accessories, be it motors or incandescent / halogen lights. Its not that the switch won't work, and may last foever, but if you reduce the amps at the contact point, they tend to not wear out as fast. Relays on the other hand, are suposed to be designed to do one thing, and that is transfer high amps with minimal wear.

The second part of this equation is wiring too and from the switch. stock wiring tends to be the minimal amount of wire guage required for the specific item. If you are adding a higher amp pulling device, the wire needs to be enlarged. Many times it is easier to just run a thicker wire from the battery or fuse box through a relay than it is to plumb a new wire to the switch.

A word of caution, though. While you get way more lumens per watt with LED, these LED's can still pull amps. On my tractor, the headlights were 35 watt lights. My LED's are 27 watts per light, so about 3 amps for the halogens, and 2+ amps for LED's. While good LED work lights are a great upgrade, they do take some electricity.

/ New LED lighting for half the price #29  
Some tractors, like smaller Kabota's, do not have an alternator. They devices that they use to charge the battery puts out more of a pulsed D.C. voltage, and that is what burns out the LED's.

Hmmm.... that's kind of scary! Does anyone else have input into this burning out of LED lights by small engines? I have a 19 HP Kawasaki that does NOT have an alternator. I don't really want to burn out my $70 LEDs in 10 hours of use!

/ New LED lighting for half the price #30  
If I am doing this right, will handle 240 watts of 12 volt light.