Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #41  
HCJtractor,

Please let me know if you/they are willing to sell it. I would be interested and would take care of transportation. I'm just north of you and would be glad to pay a "finders" fee if the deal works out.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?
brinet said:
HCJtractor,

Please let me know if you/they are willing to sell it. I would be interested and would take care of transportation. I'm just north of you and would be glad to pay a "finders" fee if the deal works out.

I sure will. I am going to look at it tonight.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #43  
THanks, I re-read that advice. How heavy is the head when I flip it over? I was told I can loosen the bolts, then flip it. Can one person hold and guide the head as it rotates? Is there a trick to that?

You angle the head by loosening 4 nuts and then turning a separate screw. That screw is probably a worm gear in there that not only angles the head controllably but keeps the head from flopping down. On mine, that screw gets harder to turn as the angle approaches 90 degrees so using your other hand to take some of the weight off the head seems to help. As others have said, flipping the head 180 degrees lowers the center of gravity and it may be helpful to crank the table up to support the head. I like to keep the table as low as possible too so if you bring a stack of boards to use as shims, you can keep the table low and still support the head.

Sorry if this was obvious.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?
Well, I bought this mill tonight. Thanks for all the advice. I rotated the head and moved the bed as you guys suggested. I used pipes as rollers and a come along to apply force. It was a little scary but everything went ok. Loaded it onto a lift gate on a rental truck and brought it home and unloaded it. I will clean it up and take some pictures. It looks really nice. The seller used it at his work but it's been sitting unused for 5 years. I appreciate all the input

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #45  
Congratulations!

Even if most of the use will be as a super duty drill press... you've go a great piece of American Made equipment.

Make sure to lube all the cups and ways with the right product before you start "Production".

I made two wooden trays to cover the table of both sides of the vise... offers some protection and a convenient place to set down stuff.

Bridgeport has a fascinating history... saw a film about the factory back in my school days.

If I remember correctly... they were sticklers on the castings... the castings would be buried to season them and stay that way for months or years? Quality product that was often copied but, never imitated.

I paid around $5000 for mine back in 1982 with a fair amount of tooling a tape drive... sold my car to get the money... at the time, I was either going to buy Apple Stock or start putting together a shop... My god-sister started with Apple in High School and was like employee 100 way back when.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #46  
Congrats on the purchase. I dont know how much you paid for it, but in the one pic, it didnt look like it came with any tooling or a vise. You will easily spend twice what you paid for the mill for a vise and some basic tooling.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #47  
That's great!!! I suspect you will be really pleased with it.
I would love to have one here but I just don't have any place to put it.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #48  
HCJtractor,

I have sent you a private message.

Thanks!

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #49  
Thread pruned... no PMs sent. Please resume discussion of excellent tool purchase. :thumbsup:

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #50  
There's a lubrication point about head high on the right hand side behind the quill power feed selector that may or may not have a zerk in it. They are only supposed to be oiled there, not greased. If there's a zerk there, take it out and see if there's grease behind it, if there is you will have to clean it all out. You can see in this pic the little right angle Gits cup that it should have. Not all have the zerk but some do and only The Flying Spaghetti Monster knows why. From what I have been led to believe, the zerk was originally to be used with a pressure gun that was filled with oil, not grease. My BP clone has the zerk and I have to take it out and squirt oil in to lube it...too lazy to fix it right, eh? :embarrassed: BTW, $250 for a BP is definitely gloatworthy!

002aBridgeportMill.jpg