Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?

A buddy of mine called me today (he knows I am a tool junkie) and said a client of his is moving and needs to get rid of a Bridgeport Mill that is in his garage. He says he'll take $250 bucks for it if we move it. It is a 1980's vintage (he thinks) I have not seen it nor know anything about the model # or condition, but he says it is in great shape and he rarely used it. I think it is three phase, so that may be a problem.

It seems from what little I know, that this is a steal, and even if I don't use it, it could be sold for a profit. What should I look for and what about these in general? I know nothing about them other than what they do. He just wants it gone. Guess I should at least go look at it. What would you look for in terms of assessing its value and usefullness??

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Default Re: Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?

If you have a way to get it to your place and a safe place to put it, I'd consider jumping on it. You may need 3 phase power or someone who know how to set up the power supply to work off of single phase. Most importantly - find someone who knows machine tools and bring them along to evaluate the condition of the mill. If the ways are shot or the quill shaft is locked up, etc, etc, it may be more trouble than it's worth. Sure wish I had one - buying the tooling for one opens up spending oportunities almost as well tractor ownership does. But, oh - the stuff you can make! I spent many happy hours using an old Bridgeport mill and a Southbend lathe in the basement of Bruel Hall at the University of Bridgeport.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 1845C skidsteer

Jump on it. A phase converter will take care of the 3 phase. I have a 3 phase bridgeport run on a phase converter. It works fine. I guarantee I paid more than $250 when I got mine several years ago. Mine is much older than what you describe. Even if you only use it as a drill press it is worth it. You can't buy a decent drill press for $250.

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

I understand that you don't know much about them - but with that said, you are a fool to not take that deal, no questions asked. Bring cash and a couple friends and lifting equipment and do not haggle. There is almost no condition it could be in that would be bad enough to make $250 a bad deal...even if you just flipped it.
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

fwiw,
    I paid $14K for a New Hardinge Bridgeport Series 1 Mill and Three Axis Newall DRO from MSC a few years back. It's hard to go wrong with a $250 Bridgeport...

Regards, Matt

Tractor
    JD2555

I use my Bridgeport for a lot of drilling, cutting pieces down to size and general repair of stuff around here. Purchased before the machine tool collapse, at almost $4000. Mine is a 2J variable speed machine, but a pulley set-up is fine also. I imagine that you won't get much in the way of tooling, but that is a completely different investment. I would think even a round ram machine would be worth $250.
    A Bridgeport can be hauled in the back of a 1/2ton p/u, as long as you slide it up against the front of the bed. Always lower the table, flip the head over so it hangs down, and put a block of wood under it, and very slowly raise the table up to it.
    Moving it around in the shop is best done on three or four 1/2 steel pipes, which are inserted as you push the mill with a pry-bar. (I use a 5' bar for ease but a long crow-bar works. Lifting it can be done with a good engine hoist, but REQUIRES CARE!! If handling it concerns you, remove the head and then remove the ram for a lighter machine.
    Haven't you bought it yet???
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

JUMP ON IT
    Regards,

Artisan

Kubota 2012 BX25 (23H.P. / 17.7pto)
    14' Dump / Carson 12K Tow Trailer w/ movable Winch,
    Canopy, Tunes, Stabilizer Soft Pads, 10"-12"BH Buckets, FEL Grapple, Fasse Valved & Switched,
    Fire Extinguisher, ChainSaw Mount, Protective Surround / Enclosure in the works.

Stayin' Alive (This click could save a life...)

Tractor
    JD2555

A 3 phase milling machine is actually preferred over a single phase one, because you can reverse a 3 phase motor in motion without hurting it. I use the static phase convertor that came with it, and it works fine, despite a slight power loss. (you never notice it).
    Here is a random ebay link to show you what one looks like.

Phase A Matic Static Phase Converter Model Pam 300 | eBay

David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    traded MF135 for a 2605 4x4

I have an Index brand knee mill and its handy when needed. The price seems great for the condition its said to be in. I am using another 3 ph motor as a converter to run it from regular 220 single phase and it has worked fine.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Quote Originally Posted by sandman2234 View Post
    A 3 phase milling machine is actually preferred over a single phase one, because you can reverse a 3 phase motor in motion without hurting it. I use the static phase convertor that came with it, and it works fine, despite a slight power loss. (you never notice it).
    Here is a random ebay link to show you what one looks like.

Phase A Matic Static Phase Converter Model Pam 300 | eBay

David from jax
    You can buy VFD's cheaper now, and you dont loose 1/3 the power like with a static phase converter.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast