Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Default Re: Installing LED lights

Notforhire: Just looked at your installation- pretty much the same, indeed. Have you had them in use? I have been too busy to even take the tractor out at night to see them actually working. Lighting up the shop was fun, but didn't tell me that much, really, since even the headlights sort of did that.

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    Notforhire: Just looked at your installation- pretty much the same, indeed. Have you had them in use? I have been too busy to even take the tractor out at night to see them actually working. Lighting up the shop was fun, but didn't tell me that much, really, since even the headlights sort of did that.
    I no longer own that tractor, but I had used the lights out on the road a couple of times. Our mount system was pretty much the same, but my lamps weren't LED. I used two Walmart auto driving lights. Because the regular headlights were useless with the loader, I disconnected them and powered the new lamps with the headlight circuit.
    When I bought my kubota I decided to mount 4/27 watt LED lights to the ROPS. I only picked this location because it was easier, not better. The LEDs provide plenty of light, and I was able to use the 10A work light circuit for all four lights. The LEDs don't reach as far as my Walmart lights, but at tractor speeds they are good enough. I do prefer the lights out in front of me. I wear glasses, and lights from the rear reflect off the back of the lens.
    I may be installing a canopy and moving the lights forward.
    Another advantage to your mount system is that it gives you a place to mount mirrors. Being a broken down old fart, I can't turn my head like an owl, so mirrors are nice if you have to travel on the road. If you look at my TC40 photo, notice the mirror on the left side.
    I think you will be happy with your design and the amount of light provided by the LEDs.

Best, Bill

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Sounds good, Bill. I had clipped the lights on the ROPS, and hot-wired them, just to test that location. I was worried about hitting them with branches or whatever, but the glare from behind me convinced me not to bother with the ROPS. I spent too much time fussing with the installation, but if I keep the tractor another 10+ years, I suppose that time will be well spent. It's almost a 25 year old tractor, I think, but only has around 600 hours, and if I take care of it, and house it in the barn and not outside, hopefully it will last. It is used for snow clearing and the occasional fence post installation, maybe hauling some firewood from time to time, or helping neighbors pull or push something heavy. I keep waiting for something to fail, like the battery that's been in it for over 12 years, but so far...

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST/LA463 loader JD 318 / 3ph(cat. 0)

Great job, varmit and Notforhire. 2 solutions in one thread. I have been pondering what to do about the glare on my glasses from the rops mounted led's, and also the best way to mount side mirrors as I, too, am a broken down old fart.

And that's why I like TBN.
    Happy as if I had good sense.
    One orange, one green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12