Homemade quick attach

/ Homemade quick attach #211  
So, does anyone have a good idea how much to offset the bucket side holes upward from the loader side holes?

From everything I've seen it looks to be about an inch.

The back of the bucket is angled 21 degrees forward when it's sitting flat on the floor, so if I take the QA adapter as adding 4 inches to the loader length, then measure how much a 21 degree angle changes the height over a 4 inch span, that SHOULD give me the height offset I need. Sound about right to someone's ears other than mine?

Sean

/ Homemade quick attach #212  
So, does anyone have a good idea how much to offset the bucket side holes upward from the loader side holes?

From everything I've seen it looks to be about an inch.

The back of the bucket is angled 21 degrees forward when it's sitting flat on the floor, so if I take the QA adapter as adding 4 inches to the loader length, then measure how much a 21 degree angle changes the height over a 4 inch span, that SHOULD give me the height offset I need. Sound about right to someone's ears other than mine?

Sean
I think your method would work and is probably the logical solution. I looked at the factory quick adapter, it looks like the bottom is about 1 3/8" and it looks like the offset is less on the top but it may just look that way, evenly offset makes more sense.

/ Homemade quick attach #213  
The one question I have that I really cant figure out is it looks like your pins from the tractor side are staggered lower by an inch or two from what the bucket side pins are, whats the reason behind that?

edit- I think i answered my own question but, you must want the pins in the same plane when the bucket is level on the ground and the loader pins are the same height as the bucket pins would be correct?

I might have been a bit foggy when I asked that question, reading back over it really isn't clear what I'm asking. On the bucket side of the adapter, the holes for the pins look to be raised about an inch or a little more in relation to the holes in the loader side of the adapter, at least they would be if the whole thing was vertical.

In the picture of Steve's adapter, I've drawn the yellow lines as close to right angles with the adapter as I can, the front set of holes is quite a bit higher. Mine should have the same angle on the bucket (same loader), so if his works fine, mine should too.

qa10.jpg

Sean

/ Homemade quick attach #214  
The goal is to make it so that when the bucket is level with the ground, the holes on the QA adapter are also parallel with the ground, so as to avoid changing the bucket's orientation relative to the loader arms. I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to tack up the two halves separately, then install the front half in the bucket, with the bucket off the tractor, then tack the back half on such that the holes are level.

/ Homemade quick attach #215  
I see what you're saying, that way you keep the amount of curl and dump pretty much the same, as well as the bucket height in relation to the holes in the end of the loader arms.

So, it would look like this if everything were level and flat.

QA geometry diagram.jpg

Sean

/ Homemade quick attach #216  
I see what you're saying, that way you keep the amount of curl and dump pretty much the same, as well as the bucket height in relation to the holes in the end of the loader arms.

Yes, exactly. At least that's how it seems to me--bear in mind, I never finished building mine! But it makes sense that you would want to keep the relationship between the lift arms and the bucket the same. The bucket should be pushed outwards an extra few inches, but its orientation shouldn't change when pinned on vs. when QA'ed. Some clever person could work out the math (tangents and such), but I tend to make mistakes or overlook things, when I try to do it that way, so I would just take off the bucket and tack it up in situ.

/ Homemade quick attach #217  
... and furthermore, this means that the "correct" alignment will be different for different people, depending on the angle of the back of their bucket. When you consider that (as far as I know, anyway) there isn't a standard for the relative angle of the back of the implement to the ground, there isn't really a universal answer either. For example, if you had a set of pallet forks, the back of the forks may be 90 degrees relative to the ground, while your bucket's back surface may be 70 degrees. There's going to be 20 degrees difference in their dump/curl, and nothing you can do about it.

/ Homemade quick attach #219  
... and furthermore, this means that the "correct" alignment will be different for different people, depending on the angle of the back of their bucket. When you consider that (as far as I know, anyway) there isn't a standard for the relative angle of the back of the implement to the ground, there isn't really a universal answer either. For example, if you had a set of pallet forks, the back of the forks may be 90 degrees relative to the ground, while your bucket's back surface may be 70 degrees. There's going to be 20 degrees difference in their dump/curl, and nothing you can do about it.

Now that's something I hadn't thought of, but you're right! I'll have to take that into account when I build the frames for my bale spear and eventually a set of forks, if it looks like it may be critical. Both of those shouldn't be a problem, since a few degrees up or down from horizontal should be fine for their intended uses. The bucket is still going to be my primary tool, so I want that as close to standard as I can get it without going overboard.

Sean

/ Homemade quick attach #220  
I just welded my QA plate flat on the square back of the La463 bucket without any thought, and it works great!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/208653-so-you-think-converting-pin.html

James K0UA

Ahh, but that's because you're naturally lucky, James :) Me, maybe not so much.

Plus, the QA from Kubota that you used was specifically designed to work with the LA463 loader bucket, so the angles would have been already considered by someone that does it for a living, unlike me. About the only thing you could have gotten screwed up was the height of the adapter plate on the back of the bucket, other than not getting it square or something like that.

That's another reason I'm reluctant to use the SSQA adapter for the LA524 loader, because that loader also has a different part number for the bucket as well as the adapter itself. How much different is the bucket? I don't know and I don't like surprises, especially ones I've already paid for.

Sean