Homemade quick attach

/ Homemade quick attach
Ps- I also bought a carbide hole saw for the main holes. Worked awesome as I had to drill quite a few holes (14?) in all and it made a nice clean cut and is still sharpe and useable later on. I got lazy on the bottom holes and cut it with the plasma cutter, which didnt matter much because I used the DOM tubing to create the actual hole being used for the pin support/ guide. Any questions from anyone lookign to build one I'll try to help out with what I can.

/ Homemade quick attach #52  
Puckgrinder. About that carbide hole saw. Did you find one that has a pilot drill bit in it, or was it pilotless? I'v never seen one for steel that had a pilot bit, only for ones that worked with electro magnetic base drills. (also on my list) With out some sort of a pilot, its a miserable living h#%l keeping the hole saw from walking, even in a drill press. Curious minds need to know, Im funny that way. Steve

/ Homemade quick attach
Diamond Carbide Hole Cutters

This is what I used. Definatly a piloted bit. I used it with my hand drill and had no issues. They would work a little better in a drill press to keep chatter down but I just oil and took my time. They are pricey but they work well and I'm sure I could have the tips sharpened if I ever am going to need that. You can remove the pilot bit if you'd like as well.

/ Homemade quick attach #54  
I think I'm going to tackle this over the winter. The deciding factor is that if I do build it and don't like the way it turns out, I can take it off and go back to the stock setup with no damage done to the original bucket. Other than some steel, it's not going to cost me a lot aside from my time and a box of welding rods.

Sean

Sean, I would highly recommend converting to SSQA.. for all my "groaning" on that bucket mod thread, I would do it again. Also remember I am kinda fabrication "challanged" I don't have the experience of working with metal like some of your guys have. And if I could do it I know you could do it in half the time and trouble.. Heck in fact I could do it in half the time now too. As someone pointed out in the thread, the memory of all the work has already faded, and the pride of seeing and using the bucket remains.

James K0UA

/ Homemade quick attach
Thats really going to depend on his budget though. I was thinking about the same route but pricing it all out to convert two bucket and then buy the Q/A unit for my tractor was upwards in the 1000$ range for good, quality items. I found a few lower class items on craigslist and such and they wanted 400$ for the Q/A units but they looked rough and im sure i would need to modify it in some shape or form. THEN you still have to modify your buckets over which takes time. It just didnt add up to me. I have (realistically) i this project w/ the tools I bought specifically for building this, 150-200$. If you priced out the metal im sure under 400$ is easily doable. The time frame was about 15hrs for me.

/ Homemade quick attach
I havnt found a good Q/A adaptor for my tractor under 600-700$. That was pretty much my whole reason for going my route. 400$ I could live with but most i've seen are 800$ range. No way! I do agree the ssqa would be the way to go for sure, but for the price im not that desperate.

/ Homemade quick attach #58  
Puckgrinder, Thanks for the link to the hole saw site. These hole saws drill such a nice perfect hole compared to a regular twist bit. I used a 1" twist bit on my project and had to clean out the holes a tad with a die grinder and a burr bit. The next project that I do that requires a bunch of large holes will see one of these bits in the drill press.
K0ua, you wont get any arguments that the SSQA is THE way to go and I would have loved to have that setup on my tractor. For me, the pin style that I made was dirt cheap compared to a SSQA and suites my needs just fine. If I was in a position where constant bucket changes was necessary then I would have spent the time and money and gone the SSQA route. Another big thing about the SSQA is that there is such a wide variety of aftermarket buckets and attachments that simply "Latch" into place that cant be done with a pin style. So far I have a set of forks and the factory bucket for my tractor. For me, change outs arent very often and Im really pleased with how my pin style QA turned out. Im thinking Puckgrinder wont have many change outs either. Chilly807 had another thought, no damage to the factory bucket if it didnt turn out. There was no way I was going to cut into a brand new bucket either. I built mine, Puckgrinder built his, OK Chilly, your up next. (gee, no presure there)

/ Homemade quick attach
Yea the holes produced are probably about the best you're going to get with hand tools. The 1.25" pins I had fin great in them right after drilling so, in that sense it was close enough for me for sure.

/ Homemade quick attach #60  
First off let me say that I am a fabricator by trade. That being said I only have the price of 2 -3/4"x6" pins from TSC I'll say $10.00 a piece because I can't remember what I paid and am sure that I didn't spend that much and some steel maybe $20, my time and less than 50' of mig wire! If Kubota would even offer a qh for my LA302l loader it would be in the several hundreds of dollars. I have less than $50 in mine and it takes me less that 60 seconds to change from the bucket to the forks (mine is similar to Puck's) I did have access to the punch press and press brake so you would have to add that into the equation but I think it could be built for under a $100 and for me I could surely use that extra $600 or $700 for more toy....er implements! I didn't have to modify my bucket at what so ever and my qh weighs in at under 20# (if I remember correctly) that is a huge plus when you figure my tractor can only lift 600# or so!