Homemade quick attach

/ Homemade quick attach #81  
I think you guys have the right idea using a hollow either round, square or rectangle it should give a little more and still spring back. I also think if you mount it below the center point of the pins, closer to lower pin, it will have less twist action applied to it.

/ Homemade quick attach #82  
Wow, some really great answers on the cross bar. Im a scrap steel who@e and save more then I should. When digging through my pile I came across a piece rod weeder bar. Its about 1-1/4 square (solid) stronger then mild steel, almost like a spring steel so in my opinion was a good choice for the cross bar. If you follow a couple of simple rules then exactly what to use wont be a problem. ONE, always make sure that all the bucket pins are in place and cant fall out. TWO, never throw a chain around the cross bar and use it as a lifting point. THREE, never use the QA as a lifting point without a bucket or something similar in place. Other then that, use whatever the other guys here suggested, it wont be a problem.
Steve

/ Homemade quick attach #83  
For what it's worth, I used a 1.125 dia. solid round bar for mine. Built it last spring and works great! My QH is built like the Kubota QH and thats what they used. I went with their engineering as I am a fabricator not an engineer... just sayin! Ken. W8N4-SNO!

/ Homemade quick attach #84  
I added a piece of 1 1/2" x 3" tube with a 1/8" wall thickness. I added a 2" receiver to it so I can move my trailer around.

Attachments

• image-3329420752.jpg
    image-3329420752.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 547
  • image-4176956325.jpg
    image-4176956325.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 446
  • image-374867474.jpg
    image-374867474.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 452
   / Homemade quick attach #85  
I ran by the salvage yard today. They didn't have 1/4" thick flat stock in 2.5" width, and I didn't want to be making a bunch of long cuts down the length of the stock, so I took 3/8" instead. I figure the extra 1/8" won't hurt anything. Maybe a little extra weight. For the torsion bar, I got a 2" piece of square stock, 1/8" thickness. Everything smaller was gauge thickness, so it was an easy choice, since I won't stick weld thinner than 1/8".

They didn't have DOM tubing for the bushings. I found some tubes with about 1 1/16" ID and about 1/8" or 3/16" wall thickness. I am pretty sure that is not going to work, but I didn't want to leave empty handed, so I bought it anyway.

Here's my current question: with regard to the bushings, what maximum clearance is desirable relative to the diameter of the pins. The pins are 1" exactly. That gives them as much as 1/16" of slop with the tubing I bought today (that probably isn't going to work). What should I be shooting for? 1/16"? 1/32"? Should I basically buy 1" ID tubing and somehow ream it out just enough to accept the pin? I measured the existing tubes and they are exactly 1" ID. The existing pins are exactly 1" diameter. So, clearly, the tolerance between the pin and the tubes is tighter than my chintzy little caliper can measure. Not sure how I can machine this to work, unless through some stroke of luck, the pins are actually slightly under 1", and a 1" ID piece of DOM tubing will accept them. I dunno. Without a piece of tubing in front of me, I'm not sure how to answer the question.

Sadly, it also looks like I am going to have to source actual DOM tubing, because I don't think I'm going to find anything sufficiently thick-walled to make things work off-the-shelf.

I also don't think there's anyway 1/8"-3/16" wall thickness is strong enough. The factory tubes are 1/4", just like the side plates.

/ Homemade quick attach #86  
   / Homemade quick attach #87  
You really need a machined fit for your pins. If you have any slop it will quickly wear the pins and holes making a sloppy fit even worse. Since you have to cut the plates off the bucket I would cut them as close as you can a repurpose them for your quick attach. Check my build thread for my SSQA and you can see how I did it.

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm not sure you've read the whole thread. This isn't an SSQA. I don't think cutting off the bucket's ears is required--in fact, the whole point of this style of QA is that you don't have to modify your bucket.

I'd still really like to hear how the other folks who built this style of QA got the proper fit for the pins (no slop).

/ Homemade quick attach #88  
Sorry I just read the last few posts. I see your problem. You still need a machined fit though. I would contact a local machine shop or a buddy with a lathe and have 8 made up. You need to get a good set of callipers and measure the pins and the bushings on the bucket to see what they have for tolerances. Also want to check all the bushings and measure at several different locations to account for any wear.

/ Homemade quick attach #89  
Another option would be to buy a 2" round stock or DOM tubing with and ID slightly smaller than what you need. Cut them to length as square as you can and drill them out to 15/16" and run a reamer through it. You will need a drill press and a vise mounted to the table to hold everything but it is doable. My choice would be parts made on a lathe but this is just another option.

/ Homemade quick attach
The DOM will probably be the best stuff you can get unless you know someone that can custom make you the bushings on a lathe. The pins I sourced locally from like tractor supply were suppose to be 1.25" pins but must have been slightly undersized and fit in the DOM like a glove. The bushing I cut from that same DOM wouldnt slide on my loader pins that were exactly 1.25". What I ended up doing was taking a sawzall and slicing the DOM bushing and I used a screw driver to pry open the DOM enough to slide over the loader pins and which I tacked in place. This made a perfect fit without a lot of monkeying around. I then welded them up completely and ended up having to file the hole out slightly from a little distortion I got from welding. After that the pins slide nicely in and dont move at all. Keep in mind the pins stay stationary in the bushings, the rotate in the loader arm and the dump cylinder eye. The only wear you could get from these pins would be a pounding wear if they were really far off in clearance.