anti freeze heater for open rops tractor

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #1  

case245

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 7040sud
i have an open rops tractor i need some sort of heat for snow plowing i was thinking bout an anti heater should i use a heater core for a car and build a box to put it in and put a fan in an opening in the box

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #2  
have you looked into finding or making yourself a heathouser? They work rather well and are also pretty simple. don't know if you would find something off of an old ag tractor that would fit but you might have some luck. its simply a cover that transfers the heat from the engine area to the operators area. still open ROPS and cold but much better than nothing.

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #3  
Have you looked into Gerbing's heated motorcycle clothing? Maybe that would help. It's not cheap; but may be easier than cobbling together a weather-break or adding a heater to your rig that is going to be of little use without a cab to contain the heated air.

Gerbing's Heated Clothing // The World's Warmest Clothing!

I see Milwaukee is offering heated jackets now that use their 12-volt battery system.

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #4  
The main thing when plowing snow is the wind chill. Get out of the wind while dressed for the outdoors and your pretty much set. I bought a canopy and soft cab for my 5045E but it wasn't exactly cheap. $1800 with shipping. A neighbor built a cab for his Kubota out of 3/4" angle iron and plywood and plexiglass. He had a couple of hundred in it.
You can at least tarp over the rops to give yourself a wind break at your back and then work from there. Once you have yourself closed in you can heat it with a 12 volt heater they sell for campers.

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #5  
Fought the cold and flurries in the face for too long. I'm building a metal and glass cab right now. It will have heat and is being built in sections so it can come and go with the seasons. There's a lot of work left to do. With lots of luck it could be done this week. Cost will run less than $1,000 (Metal = $90, Glass = $400 est., Heater = $150, Wiper = $40, Paint = $80, cow mat to block off underseat area = $0 [had enough left from another project], plus some unforseen stuff for sure. The glass was quoted as around $10/SF for laminated safety glass. Need to have final patterns to give the supplier, but he claimed next day availability.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 445
   / anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #6  
i have an open rops tractor i need some sort of heat for snow plowing i was thinking bout an anti heater should i use a heater core for a car and build a box to put it in and put a fan in an opening in the box

For about a $100 you can get a golf cart enclosure from northern tool and it works very well to keep you out of the wind and blowing snow. I bought one last year but only used it twice due to not very much deep snow in our area, but both times it kept the snow and wind off of me. I've attached 2 pictures to show how it looks on my EX3200 but do note, I have a tractor canopy connected to the rops the enclosure rests on so you'd probably have to figure out how to secure and run two rails from your rops towards the front for the enclosure to rest on, for your tractor, if you don't have a canopy.

EX3200 side view.jpgEX3200 Front view.jpg

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #7  
well thats a fine idea

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #8  
Fought the cold and flurries in the face for too long. I'm building a metal and glass cab right now. It will have heat and is being built in sections so it can come and go with the seasons. There's a lot of work left to do. With lots of luck it could be done this week. Cost will run less than $1,000 (Metal = $90, Glass = $400 est., Heater = $150, Wiper = $40, Paint = $80, cow mat to block off underseat area = $0 [had enough left from another project], plus some unforseen stuff for sure. The glass was quoted as around $10/SF for laminated safety glass. Need to have final patterns to give the supplier, but he claimed next day availability.

Do you have a thread started on this build, and if so, please post a link to it. Thanks.

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #9  
Long ago car heaters were optional and the aftermarket ones had a radiator and fan in an enclosure. J C Whitney etc sold them. I would try to find something like that and maybe mount it under the back of the seat.

But as everyone said, an enclosure to get out of the wind (plus appropriate clothing) may be more important.

/ anti freeze heater for open rops tractor #10