Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #1  

hodge

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 John Deere 790
I made a set of stabilizers today for a friends JD5300. His turnbuckles are still holding up, but I make these for a side living, and hadn't tackled such a large set yet. I make small, medium, and large sets for tractors up to about 35 hp, and have gotten a few requests for larger machines. But, until now, I didn't have the right sized steel. These are a prototype, which I think will outperform his turnbuckles, both in strength and ease of use.
The photos show 3 things- a medium set for a BX2360, the prototype for the JD, and a factory turnbuckle off of my own B7100, all for size comparison.
extralarge002.jpg photo by br549_red | Photobucket

extralarge001.jpg photo by br549_red | Photobucket

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #2  
Those looks good.

Also if you get the IMG code on photobucket the pics will show up directly on the forum.

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #3  
Your workmanship looks very professional.

I don't see why they are not offered as an option at the dealership.

Many people do not realize the need (if we are talking about the same thing). With more than one 3 point attachment, and using the tractor just about everyday, I found myself either letting the implement sway from side to side without tightening the turn buckles, or putting up with the pain of adjusting them everytime I changed equipment back there.

So I made my own set of stabilizers years ago, when I change equipment I remove a pin from each stabilizer , move the lower lift bars off one set of lift pins on to another implements set of lift pins, and then resecure the stabilizer. See pic stabilizer.jpg
It's a poor picture, but I have a compact tractor and can only have a short stabilizer, I needed one end to have threads for fine adjustment to get the holes line up. I also use swivels on each end. The stabilizer pictured has 4 parts: (1l) a drilled rod with swivel, (2) a threaded rod with swivel, (3) a drilled square tube for the drilled rod to slide into - the tube as a nut welded on one end for the other rod to thread into, and (4) the lock pin.

Please disregard lower pic, I can't figure out how to delete it as it is in error.

Attachments

• stabilizer.jpg
    stabilizer.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 201
   / Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300
Your workmanship looks very professional.

I don't see why they are not offered as an option at the dealership.

Many people do not realize the need (if we are talking about the same thing). With more than one 3 point attachment, and using the tractor just about everyday, I found myself either letting the implement sway from side to side without tightening the turn buckles, or putting up with the pain of adjusting them everytime I changed equipment back there.

So I made my own set of stabilizers years ago, when I change equipment I remove a pin from each stabilizer , move the lower lift bars off one set of lift pins on to another implements set of lift pins, and then resecure the stabilizer. See pic View attachment 291819
It's a poor picture, but I have a compact tractor and can only have a short stabilizer, I needed one end to have threads for fine adjustment to get the holes line up. I also use swivels on each end. The stabilizer pictured has 4 parts: (1l) a drilled rod with swivel, (2) a threaded rod with swivel, (3) a drilled square tube for the drilled rod to slide into - the tube as a nut welded on one end for the other rod to thread into, and (4) the lock pin.

Please disregard lower pic, I can't figure out how to delete it as it is in error.

They might be an option, although I haven't found them for this application. I am pretty aware of what is offered, and if the manufacturer already makes them, and the price is comparable or less, I will give that information to the customer. I did a search in the case of the 5300, and didn't come up with anything.
Thank you for the complement- yours looks substantially built. I do like the idea of heim joints at both ends, although I only use them when the case necessitates them. In most cases, the original equipment and/or desigh supports clevis pins, which work fine. I use heim joints when an exceptional amount of movement is involved. Otherwise, they are an expensive item (in the case of the 5300, a little over $20 a piece my cost), and as you know, keeping a price reasonable is absolutely necessary.
A photo of them installed- JD5300003.jpg photo by br549_red | Photobucket

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #5  
A set of Mark's stabilizers really reduced the time it takes to remove and hitch up different attachemnts on our Kubota B5100.
Very nice workmanship, great value, and Mark is a pleasure to do business with, too.

P9290042.JPG

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #6  
A few years ago JD changed their stabilizers to a pin that drops in from the top. Mine is the old style that requires you to get a mirror and lean against the muddy tire to see the hole... The dealer offered to upgrade mine but it would have been hundreds of $$$

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #7  
Hodge, have you thought about making some for antique tractors like a Ford 8N. You would not need the stiff arm on them then.

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #8  
A few years ago JD changed their stabilizers to a pin that drops in from the top. Mine is the old style that requires you to get a mirror and lean against the muddy tire to see the hole... The dealer offered to upgrade mine but it would have been hundreds of $$$

My JD 3010 has pins that drop in from the top; I always figured it came that way from the factory. If someone changed them over at some point in the past I'm sure glad he did!

/ Telescoping stabilizers for a John Deere 5300 #9  
I installed STABILWORK'S (by Mark Hodge) pin adjustable lift-arm-stabilizers ((Kubota calls the Check Chains, still.)) on my Kubota B3300SU. (33-HP / 1,800 pounds)

High quality work. Close tolerances. STABILWORKS sure saves a lot of sweat and bad words when attaching implements.

Kubota factory Check Chains for B3300SU weigh 3.7 pounds the pair. Stabilwork's check chains/Large weigh 14.4 pounds the pair.

Perhaps now I will be able to reverse-smooth with my 630 pound Rollover Box Blade without fear of deforming the lift arms, which are engineered to PULL not PUSH.

BUT I WANT TO PUSH.

StabilWorks

Kubota tractor stabilizers Kubota [url]www.stabilworks.com - YouTube[/url]

Check 'em out.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0439.JPG