Tractor
    John Deere 790 MFWD

Default Wire for new LED lights on a canopy

For those of you that have added LED work lights, what have you used for the wires feeding them? I'll have both +12V and ground for each light. I was wondering if it's typical to use pairs of separate primary wire, or if there is better wire I am not considering. Like with a pair of wires bonded together (like lamp cord). I'm trying to avoid a mess of spaghetti if possible. I'm thinking about plastic wire loom too to help keep branches from snagging the wires going up the ROPS, but that stuff seems pretty cheesy.
    I bought a pair of 27W lights to face front and a pair of 18W for the rear. Thanks to those that recommended TractorHelp.com and The LED Store as sources!
    (I found some neat illuminated toggle switches for having individual lights on or off, but I'll save a post on that until they're working.)
    LehighValleyPA
    John Deere 790 w/ steel canopy, 70 loader, Woods 6500 subframe backhoe, DR pto chipper, Land Pride RTA1558 tiller

Tractor
    Kubota B3200

Default Re: Wire for new LED lights on a canopy

16 ga. lamp wire is fine for that application. And I do recommend running a dedicated ground wire to any kind of aux. light, if you rely on the mount to make a ground connection you almost always wind up with headaches.
    Kubota B3200 with LA504 FEL and Woods HC54 brushhog

Looking for: Pallet Forks

Tractor
    Case/IH DX33

I agree with mjw. 16 ga wire should be plenty for it. In fact, the following chart I found says 18 ga would be fine for that.
    http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Supp...ctionTable.pdf
    I would suggest the dedicated ground also.

Thought about putting the wires inside the ROPS? No chance of a snag there.

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

I bought the same size lights. 18w rear and 27 watt front LED.
    I used ULTREX® VN Shielded Tray Cable 18AWG
    My front lights have a weatherproof switch box where all the connections were made.
    Tray cable is made for outdoor wire cable trays and will resist UV and handle the harshest weather.
    The durable coating will withstand abrasion . I ran my cable thru the ROPS so there is going to be vibration and rubbing over the years inside the ROPS.You want to protect from abrasion so they wont short out and blow fuses later.
    If you have the means ,I welded stainless steel mounting pads for the lights on the back of the canopy. No worries about corrosion and loosing ground.
    I have a homemade bumper on the front of my truck and welded stainless pads to the steel for the offroad lights and the ground. 10 years and going without a lost ground.

LED light are very low amperage, 18 AWG is plenty big enough. You should need no larger wire than the wire supplied at the light. Just good insulation for the wire.
    2012 JD 2320, HOMEMADE CANOPY, 54" FRONT BLADE, 54" MID DECK MOWER, HYDRAULIC ANGLE 60" REAR BLADE, QUICK HITCH, STAINLESS FRONT MOUNT SPRAY TANK W/BOOM, 200CX LOADER W/ 61" BUCKET, HOMEMADE BALLAST BOX,HOMEMADE BUCKET GRAPPLE
    1998 "BIG DOOLEY" Chevy K3500 Crew Cab (36.000 miles & counting)

United Steel Workers Union 12934

Tractor
    John Deere 790 MFWD

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by pedalstomper78 View Post
    Thought about putting the wires inside the ROPS? No chance of a snag there.
    I'll have to take a closer look at the ROPS - it's kind of an odd OEM bolted design. I added a ROPS extension kit a couple years ago and now I can't remember if it leaves a through path all the way up or not. You've got me thinking, and my wife will tell you how dangerous that is...
    LehighValleyPA
    John Deere 790 w/ steel canopy, 70 loader, Woods 6500 subframe backhoe, DR pto chipper, Land Pride RTA1558 tiller

Tractor
    John Deere 790 MFWD

Big Dooley, your profile pic light arrangement is exactly what I'm hoping to end up with!
    Did you tie the lights into pre-existing work light wiring? My 790 has some unused connectors at the rear that are live at one setting of the headlight switch, and supposedly have a 10A fuse (haven't popped the panel yet to check). My voltmeter confirms that they work so I plan to tap into them.
    LehighValleyPA

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

Quote Originally Posted by LehighValleyPA View Post
    Big Dooley, your profile pic light arrangement is exactly what I'm hoping to end up with!
    Did you tie the lights into pre-existing work light wiring? My 790 has some unused connectors at the rear that are live at one setting of the headlight switch, and supposedly have a 10A fuse (haven't popped the panel yet to check). My voltmeter confirms that they work so I plan to tap into them.
    The rear lights use a pre-exhisting light tap under the seat (amp ?). Comes on with the second click- normal head lighting.
    The front lights are wired from a power source I ran to the canopy from the battery (10Amp) for the stereo. ( radio & front LED)
    There is a second tap under the seat but i use that for a 12vdc pump for spraying. I just turn the lights on and off to run the spray pump.
    You will sure enjoy the extra lighting.
    2012 JD 2320, HOMEMADE CANOPY, 54" FRONT BLADE, 54" MID DECK MOWER, HYDRAULIC ANGLE 60" REAR BLADE, QUICK HITCH, STAINLESS FRONT MOUNT SPRAY TANK W/BOOM, 200CX LOADER W/ 61" BUCKET, HOMEMADE BALLAST BOX,HOMEMADE BUCKET GRAPPLE
    1998 "BIG DOOLEY" Chevy K3500 Crew Cab (36.000 miles & counting)

United Steel Workers Union 12934