Wire for new LED lights on a canopy

/ Wire for new LED lights on a canopy #1  

LehighValleyPA

Tractor
John Deere 790 MFWD
For those of you that have added LED work lights, what have you used for the wires feeding them? I'll have both +12V and ground for each light. I was wondering if it's typical to use pairs of separate primary wire, or if there is better wire I am not considering. Like with a pair of wires bonded together (like lamp cord). I'm trying to avoid a mess of spaghetti if possible. I'm thinking about plastic wire loom too to help keep branches from snagging the wires going up the ROPS, but that stuff seems pretty cheesy. :confused:
I bought a pair of 27W lights to face front and a pair of 18W for the rear. Thanks to those that recommended TractorHelp.com and The LED Store as sources!
(I found some neat illuminated toggle switches for having individual lights on or off, but I'll save a post on that until they're working.)

/ Wire for new LED lights on a canopy #2  
16 ga. lamp wire is fine for that application. And I do recommend running a dedicated ground wire to any kind of aux. light, if you rely on the mount to make a ground connection you almost always wind up with headaches.

/ Wire for new LED lights on a canopy #4  
I bought the same size lights. 18w rear and 27 watt front LED.
I used ULTREX® VN Shielded Tray Cable 18AWG
My front lights have a weatherproof switch box where all the connections were made.
Tray cable is made for outdoor wire cable trays and will resist UV and handle the harshest weather.
The durable coating will withstand abrasion . I ran my cable thru the ROPS so there is going to be vibration and rubbing over the years inside the ROPS.You want to protect from abrasion so they wont short out and blow fuses later.
If you have the means ,I welded stainless steel mounting pads for the lights on the back of the canopy. No worries about corrosion and loosing ground.
I have a homemade bumper on the front of my truck and welded stainless pads to the steel for the offroad lights and the ground. 10 years and going without a lost ground.

LED light are very low amperage, 18 AWG is plenty big enough. You should need no larger wire than the wire supplied at the light. Just good insulation for the wire.

/ Wire for new LED lights on a canopy
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thought about putting the wires inside the ROPS? No chance of a snag there.
I'll have to take a closer look at the ROPS - it's kind of an odd OEM bolted design. I added a ROPS extension kit a couple years ago and now I can't remember if it leaves a through path all the way up or not. You've got me thinking, and my wife will tell you how dangerous that is...

/ Wire for new LED lights on a canopy
Big Dooley, your profile pic light arrangement is exactly what I'm hoping to end up with!
Did you tie the lights into pre-existing work light wiring? My 790 has some unused connectors at the rear that are live at one setting of the headlight switch, and supposedly have a 10A fuse (haven't popped the panel yet to check). My voltmeter confirms that they work so I plan to tap into them.

/ Wire for new LED lights on a canopy #7  
Big Dooley, your profile pic light arrangement is exactly what I'm hoping to end up with!
Did you tie the lights into pre-existing work light wiring? My 790 has some unused connectors at the rear that are live at one setting of the headlight switch, and supposedly have a 10A fuse (haven't popped the panel yet to check). My voltmeter confirms that they work so I plan to tap into them.

The rear lights use a pre-exhisting light tap under the seat (amp ?). Comes on with the second click- normal head lighting.
The front lights are wired from a power source I ran to the canopy from the battery (10Amp) for the stereo. ( radio & front LED)
There is a second tap under the seat but i use that for a 12vdc pump for spraying. I just turn the lights on and off to run the spray pump.
You will sure enjoy the extra lighting.