Winch

/ Winch #11  
Also be careful that the bottom of the tree doesn't snap back, opposite the direction you are pulling. You don't want to exert too much pressure before the tree actually starts to fall.

/ Winch #13  
Throw a bit of nylon into the equasion so you can get a bit of stretch in it before you start the cut and you should be good. Having two people, one to operate the winch/tractor and the other on the chainsaw makes things a LOT easier. Most times I have to replace the second person with a wireless control on the winch so I can tighten the cable from the butt of the tree while cutting.... sooner have a helper though

/ Winch #14  
I winch a lot of trees with a rear mounted model. I was concerned with the tractor electric system handling the draw from this winch, so I installed another car battery in the vicinity of the winch and wired the winch cables direct to it. Then ran a #12 wire with a 30 amp inline fuse to the tractor battery to charge the other one. Never a problem with the winch battery being fully charged (unless the fuse blows), never a problem with the tractor elect system.

The 30 amp fuse is occasionally blown, typically during a long hard pull in which case I do not change the fuse until the pull is over. The fuse is then replaced and the tractor seems to have the battery recharged before the next winch pull.

/ Winch #15  
I have tried this several times. It's hard to get the tree to fall exactly where you want, the winch cannot take up slack fast enough, I even had it mounted to the reciever on a 3/4 Chevy truck. We couldn't get it going fast enough to take up the slack. I took out 2 large trees very close to my house, I managed to avoid the house, but I did some collateral damage to other trees that I didn't want.

/ Winch
I pulled myself up the hill with a week or two's heat chained on the back. Not sure if it makes total sense, but it definitely is fun.. sense4.jpgsense2.jpgsense3.jpg
Have to weigh the advantage of not sawing in the sticker bushes, compared to dragging the tree thru the mud before cutting it up.

/ Winch #17  
I have just put a winch on my little Dozer I went for a Hydraulic one to avoid any hassles with the battery I mounted it on a three point hitch grader blade I can reverse the blade to give me extra anchorage I anyone gets stuck driving across the river to visit me I now have the tool to pull them out.
winch3.JPG

/ Winch
I have just put a winch on my little Dozer I went for a Hydraulic one to avoid any hassles with the battery I mounted it on a three point hitch grader blade I can reverse the blade to give me extra anchorage I anyone gets stuck driving across the river to visit me I now have the tool to pull them out.
View attachment 292239

That's a nice looking winch, got any details on it?

/ Winch #19  
The winch is a Runva HWN 15000YD Hydraulic Winch
A 15000 pound rated pull but in real life has only about 10000 pound pull once it has three layers of rope on the drum I have a pulley block to use with it which will double the pull but that will depend on how well the grader blade digs in as I have found out with the winch on my Landcruiser a winch is only as good as its anchor

/ Winch
Runva electric winches look a lot like a Superwinch, maybe they're made in the same place. After using mine for a couple hours, the idea that it would be a temporary installation is out the window. I think I'll order another snatch block so I can use two, one up high on the tree dragging end, and another down low, so I don't lift the tractor. Besides, using one looks too much like a sling-shot aimed at my head. I have to skid pan it too, to protect the wires on the bottom. I would have mounted it the other way, but that would have put the cable slot on top of the mount and weakened it. (probably could have wound the cable the opposite way on the drum, and run it backward, now that I think of it.. 20:20 hindsight) anybody know if the winch cares?

Last edited: