Age old question.

/ Age old question. #11  
What does the JD add on tool box look like and where do they attach? I may be interested if not to expensive. Especially interested for the JD 790. Thanks, John.

/ Age old question. #12  
There is a gentleman outside of town who getts chickdee's to feed right out of his hand. Basically he told me that he starts by putting out a glove palm up and put some seed on it. After the chickdees are comfortable with getting the seed of the glove he starts to wear the glove and put seed on it. Now he has got them feeding out of his bear hand just about any time there are chickdees at the feeder. Twice in my short life I have had a chickdee land on my shoulder (while hunting) and chirp away at my ear for a few minutes. The feeling of being so close to wildlife (even a small bird) is really awsome. We have blue birds nesting here on ocassion. I do see them every spring trying to nest but the swallows seem to beat them out. My personnal favorite are chickdees and gold finches. Unfortunately the gold finches like the expensive niger seed.

Derek

/ Age old question. #13  
<font color=blue>"use the Chalkley cup as a toolbox."</font color=blue> You guys never let up, do you? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Age old question. #14  
Don't see what the cons are. Have heard the enviro-nazi's say it interferes with natural selection, etc.. But with all the pollution etc. what is natural selection anymore? Basically feel the more you can help the better. If attracting sick animals is a concern, this is where nature will resolve--easy picking for the predetors.

Interesting, 'chased' a possum 500' down the road with the tractor--he couldn't climb the snow banks. He finally sat across from my garbage for an hour while I moved some banks. Wondered what was up, as it was the middle of the day (will usually dispose of nocturnals out in the day) until a neighbor came by and complained about them tearing up his garbage! Thought about running it off, then finally told it not to make a mess (no, I don't talk to the trees too!) and drove off. Next morning looked and it had neatly had dinner inside a can.......

Saw a report that this is already the worst winter in 25 years for deer...but coyotes are doing fine cleaning up the spoils!

/ Age old question. #15  
John, I've seen 2 different boxes. One was black plastic and the other was a steel box. Both had JD logos. Don't have a clue to where they mount. My guess is that they're a universal mount and not model specific. The price was high enough that I wasn't going to buy just to find out./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Age old question.
M.Sullivan,
The cons in which I'm talking about are from the males during there mating season...deer an moose,for they seem to destroy number of my spruces and maples with there antlers,and I come to accept thats there way and there home.
As far as the turkeys..man ole man got to watch where one steps. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Than there the bears...nothing like walking to the feeding station or to the barn and have one standing there or coming around the corner,indeed it scare the @%*&#$ out of one sometimes. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Over the years I learn the do's and don't with wildlife hanging around the house,and its most interesting what they can also teach.

Enviro-nazi's....up here they are call tree huggers,and I to have been confronted by them for feeding wildlife,but the strange part is when I'm confronted by them they are in numbers....mmmmm.

I agree the more you can help the better.
I was taught if you take something from nature you should replace it one way or another.
Starvation and domestic dogs chasing wildlife I shall try and stop,for its a cruel death.

Mother nature has always seem to balance her wildlife in one form or another,and we may think its cruel but in order for something to live something must die.

If people spent alot more time w/ wildlife,I'm sure they would become more relaxing in todays world of pressure...something like getting back to the basic.

Indeed you had a jump start on winter this year,and I hope the snowfall shall be lighter from here on out.

Take care out there and I enjoy your comments.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Age old question. #17  
I don't have a solution for the toolbox question, but I thought I'd get in on the favorite bird thing. For me thats tough to nail down. I like mockingbirds because of their singing and the way they display during the courting season.I don't see one very often, so I always get a kick out of spotting a painted bunting. Vermillion flycatchers have a nice color, and are real acrobats. Scissor-tails are nice too. Oh, and Caracara's......

Ernie
"You can plainly see that the Alamo was never built by a military people for a fortress."
Green Jameson, Jan 1836 (in a letter to Sam Houston)

/ Age old question. #18  
We did have a lot of Eastern bluebirds last spring until we stated finding dead ones at the foot of the power pole next to my well. We contacted the power company. They came out and fixed a problem with their transformer. We lost about 13 bluebirds. Last week I found a dead one in my barn. I am sure one of the dogs brought it in but I do not know where they got it. (The barn is under construction so I know it had not been nesting in it and I do not think they ever nest in barns anyway. They are very particular about where they nest.) During the summer we sometimes leave the door open on our screen porch and hummingbirds come in and cannot get out. It is really fascinating to catch them and take them outside and release them. We spend several dollars a month on bird seed also but this includes feeding some squirrels. We keep the black sunflower seeds on the porch and sometimes when we leave the door open the squirrels come in and chew a hole in the sack and make a big mess. I guess we should leave the door closed or put the seed in a bucket where they cannot get to it.