How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
After looking everywhere and not being able to find a LED work light with a integrated switch I decided to make my own. The light has a rubber housing. I am not sure if you will be able to do this to a lot of the LED lights with a aluminum housing since most of them have a heat sync on the back and it would make it hard to mount a switch.

Skill Level: It is so easy a caveman could do it.

I chose a switch that was threaded and had a nut on the back of it so it would fit nice and tight. The switch is water resistant. The switch came from digikey.

20130117_215628.jpg

The first thing you need to do is to get the light out of the housing. If you hold the light like pictured below and push with your thumbs and pull with your fingers it comes out easily. You will want to be carefull that the light does not come flying out and get damaged. I did it over a tool cart with a fender cover on it so if I dropped it would not damage anything.

20130118_211105.jpg

I then marked the location of where I wanted the switch.

20130118_211313.jpg

Then I drilled a pilot hole.

20130118_211409.jpg

I used a 7/8'' spade bit to drill the hole in the light. When you drill rubber it stretches so you want to use a smaller bit than the size of the hole you need.

20130118_211523.jpg

Here is the light with after the hole is drilled.

20130118_211633.jpg

20130118_132725-1.jpg

I added the switch. I used a socket (without a ratchet, just my hand) to tighten the nut on the switch.

20130118_211904.jpg

The next thing I did was cut the red + wire. There is not much wire inside the light so you will have to add some on one side to reach the switch. Just be sure you leave one side long enough to reach the switch so you don't have to add to both sides.

20130118_211943.jpg

I soldered a piece of wire to the one side because it was too short reach the switch. If you don't want to solder you could use crimp on butt connectors. I crimped on spade connectors because that it is what I needed to connect to the switch. I put a dabble of dielectric grease on the spade connectors to help fight corrosion. It was probably not necessary since everything was housed in the light.

20130118_213830.jpg

I used liquid electrical tape to cover where I soldered.

20130118_214007.jpg

Now you can connect the wires to the switch. It is also a good idea to test the light before you put it back together to make sure it works. Be careful that you have negative wire going to ground because LED's are polarity sensitive.

To put the light back together I started the light in the bottom and used a small screwdriver to carefully pry the rubber back so it would pop back together.

20130118_214259.jpg

Here is the finished product.:cool2:

20130118_132823-1.jpg

20130118_214919.jpg

This project cost around $45 a light.

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch #2  
Very cleverly thought out and installed. Two thumbs up.

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch
Thanks.

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch #4  
Nice... been looking for just such a light. What LED make/model did you use?

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch #5  
Looks good! Have to get some night shots to show the pattern:thumbsup:

Nice... been looking for just such a light. What LED make/model did you use?

Thanks, I used some cheap lights from northern tool. TruckStar DC LED Utility Light — 12 Volt, 375 Lumens, Model# 1492110 | Automotive Work Lights| Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks Jason. The lights are not the best but I had them laying around doing nothing so why not put them to use. They throw a pretty wide beam which will be good cause I want some light off to the sides. I can get a night shot with them off the tractor. I still have to build some mounts. I need to get a 3rd light for the rear, i am not sure if am going to get another one or not. I also have a new incandescent light but the bulb is missing, so I guess it would just a housing. I found a company that makes a LED upgrade for the incandescent light I need to email them to find a retailer.

The pictures don't do them justice. Maybe I should have used night mode without flash:confused3: It was actually way brighter and the light went farther. The pictures are of one light. The building that the light is shining against is probably 100-125' away.

IMG_0573_zps7c9565db.jpg

IMG_0574_zpsda1af272.jpg

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch #8  
Yeah its hard to take night shots. No flash makes it hard to keep stable with no blur. I used the tractor to stablize the cam for mine.

I took mine with no flash, but "regular" daytime mode. 2 lights @ 1000 lumens ea. for example.

IMG_4433-1.jpg

I agree, the camera doesnt do the eye justice. If your happy with the output to your eyes that is what matters.

Yeah its hard to take night shots. No flash makes it hard to keep stable with no blur. I used the tractor to stablize the cam for mine.

I took mine with no flash, but "regular" daytime mode. 2 lights @ 1000 lumens ea. for example.

IMG_4433-1.jpg

I agree, the camera doesnt do the eye justice. If your happy with the output to your eyes that is what matters.

I may try to take some more pic tomorrow. I tried first with my tablet and looked like it was pitch black. I just want a little light of to the sides of the tractor. These lights throw a really wide beam.

/ How to Install a Work Light Mounted Switch #10  
Good job Roger I could use one of those for a rear work light

James K0UA