Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Default Homemade chute rotator perfected

So after two seasons I think I may have just about perfected the ultimate "Low budget, quickly built, reliable, good functioning, snowblower chute rotator and deflector actuator"

First you buy two cheap 12v ATV winches. It doesn't really matter what brand, if it has a roller fairlead or not, how nice the controller is or isn't. Just two cheap ATV winches. I bought my last one on sale at TSC for $60. You need to buy two toggle switches that are Momentary, ON-OFF-ON, tripple pole double throw. Everyone thinks these need to be expensive high amperage switches or you need to use isolation relays because a winch is rated to pull a lot of amperage but for what your doing with the winches your only going to be drawing like 10Amps most of the time. My toggle switches are just plastic and rated for 20Amps and have held up fine. I paid less than $10 for both of them. You need 20'-30' of two conductor #12 wire (actually could probably even go with #14). You need five 3/8"x1" bolts and five nylon lock nuts. You'll need a roll of high quality duct tape and a roll of electrical tape. Two 3/16" or 1/4" cable clamps. A small PVC wiring box, a fuse holder (preferably water resistant), and a 20amp fuse.
    *NOTE THESE PARTS WORKED ON MY PROVENOST LYNX SNOWBLOWER BUT MAY NEED MORE OR DIFFERENT PARTS FOR SOME OTHER MODELS.
    cut off your manual setting arm on your chute deflector at the correct location (see pictures) and drill a 3/8" hole or a little larger. Disassemble one winch and drill a 3/8" hole through the the spool piece (see photo).
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have"
    "The best things in life,...aren't things"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Default Re: Homemade chute rotator perfected

Photo?

Tractor
    Kubota B7500HST

Definitely need pictures. I'm trying to figure out why you needed two winches.

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

One to rotate left, one to rotate right?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Ok sorry about that. I was posting this while walking around trying to do stuff and it wasn't working.
    Here's some pics of the set up I have been running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -forumrunner_20130120_193628-png   -forumrunner_20130120_193704-png  
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Ok lets try pics again.

-forumrunner_20130120_194151-png

-forumrunner_20130120_194222-png

-forumrunner_20130120_194239-png

-forumrunner_20130120_194306-png

Some images facing the wrong way but you get the point.
    It works slick. I wrapped the spool on the rotator winch to make it a bigger diameter to change my gear ratio. Now the speed on the chute rotator is PERFECT! Not too slow but not so fast that you can't control it.
    The deflector was too fast and overshooting at first so I went from having a short "arm" bolted to the spool THEN connected to the flat stock connecting link to being connected directly to the spool with a piece of 3/8" t-rod.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

I forgot some other parts. A piece of flat stock to bolt the rotation winch to. I think it was like 4"X12" or something. I work in the HVAC field so I had some of the parts already but id say I probably have like $170 into the whole setup. And like I said it works good so far. Oh one more note. Make sure you mount the chute rotation winch with the motor facing UP not down. It looks better facing down but water can get into the motor that way.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -forumrunner_20130120_195805-png   -forumrunner_20130120_195858-png  

Tractor
    Kubota B7500HST

OK, now I understand what you're doing.
    Are you switching the motor current with those switches or is there a relay box somewhere??

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Ok so the pictures showed up when I first posted them but now I can't see them. ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast