Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1
    Platinum Member 3v0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    520
    Location
    Oklahoma Pan Handle, United States
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

    Default Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    I have been reading about this here and else where. Everyone talks about it but I did not see any numbers.

    Math was never my strong point so I hope I got this right.

    Lets assume a small tractor loader like used on a kubota BX is 60 in from the rear pivot pin to the bucket. The lift spec is 500 lbs. This gives us 500 * 60 or 30,000 in lbs of torque at the arm pivot. This figure will stay the same.

    Now lets extend the lift point by 6 in to 66 in by attaching a quick attach setup. Our new lifting capacity will be 30,000 in lbs / 66 in or 454.5 if we ignore the weight of the adapter. 454/500 is 90%. This also makes sense in that we increased the distance by 10% so the drop in lift capacity is 10% but we should also lift 10% higher.

    But add the weight of a 70lb adaptor and we are down to a 385.5 capacity or about 77% of what we started with.

    I need to get the tape out tomorrow and see what the actual length of the loader arm is.

  2. #2
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    I have been reading about this here and else where. Everyone talks about it but I did not see any numbers.

    Math was never my strong point so I hope I got this right.

    Lets assume a small tractor loader like used on a kubota BX is 60 in from the rear pivot pin to the bucket. The lift spec is 500 lbs. This gives us 500 * 60 or 30,000 in lbs of torque at the arm pivot. This figure will stay the same.

    Now lets extend the lift point by 6 in to 66 in by attaching a quick attach setup. Our new lifting capacity will be 30,000 in lbs / 66 in or 454.5 if we ignore the weight of the adapter. 454/500 is 90%. This also makes sense in that we increased the distance by 10% so the drop in lift capacity is 10% but we should also lift 10% higher.

    But add the weight of a 70lb adaptor and we are down to a 385.5 capacity or about 77% of what we started with.

    I need to get the tape out tomorrow and see what the actual length of the loader arm is.
    You are going to be one busy fella for a while.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Location
    Up State S.C.
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    A friend told me that the problem with overloading a FEL was breaking wheel rims and spindles. Has anyone ever done this?

  4. #4
    Super Member texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,271
    Location
    Central Texas, Jarrell
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    No
    You can chain a FEL down to the ground so it cannot move. One of the following will happen when you lift:

    Rear wheels will come off ground...do be careful and don't carry this experiment to its conclusion...a tip over
    Hydraulic relief valve will pop...you hear a hissing sound, know tractor is trying to lift, but rear stays on ground because lots of weight back there.

    Rims will not break. Spindles will not break
    If you have low tire pressure, a loaded bucket, turn sharply, then likely you will roll the tire off of the rim. Carry near max pressure in tire to avoid this mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    A friend told me that the problem with overloading a FEL was breaking wheel rims and spindles. Has anyone ever done this?
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

    Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    I have a 33 horse tractor that had the spindles break. They were known for that. I got the larger refit spindles and have not had a problem since.
    I would surmise that a heavily loader bucket, traveling at some speed over rough terrrain could cause spindle damage.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Location
    Up State S.C.
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    I took my friend to mean that the breakage occurred over time, due to metal fatigue. He said that the rims broke first. I also took him to mean that after replacing the rims, the spindles broke.

    Quote Originally Posted by yanmars View Post
    I have a 33 horse tractor that had the spindles break. They were known for that. I got the larger refit spindles and have not had a problem since.
    I would surmise that a heavily loader bucket, traveling at some speed over rough terrrain could cause spindle damage.

  7. #7
    Super Member texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,271
    Location
    Central Texas, Jarrell
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    Just my opinion, but broken spindles or rims would be either a design specification or manufacturing defect....tractors and FEL's are built to be used with reasonable care but to not be babied.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

    Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Location
    Up State S.C.
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    I think you are correct and posted the question to verify this. I recently acquired my first tractor with a loader and am trying to avoid problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    Just my opinion, but broken spindles or rims would be either a design specification or manufacturing defect....tractors and FEL's are built to be used with reasonable care but to not be babied.

  9. #9
    Super Member texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,271
    Location
    Central Texas, Jarrell
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    First problem to avoid is to make sure you have sufficient rear weight to keep tires firmly on ground when carrying max FEL load (so heavy you can only lift FEL load a foot or so). Won't carry this weight often, perhaps, but when it happens you want to avoid tipping forward. Next thing to do is ALWAYS keep FEL load low...again to reduce tipping risk. Do this and you avoid two common newbie operational mistakes. Reading the safety forum will teach you a lot if you haven't already done so.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    I think you are correct and posted the question to verify this. I recently acquired my first tractor with a loader and am trying to avoid problems.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

    Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

  10. #10
    Platinum Member 3v0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    520
    Location
    Oklahoma Pan Handle, United States
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

    Default Re: Calculated lost loader lift capacity with quick attach.

    Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    Just my opinion, but broken spindles or rims would be either a design specification or manufacturing defect....tractors and FEL's are built to be used with reasonable care but to not be babied.
    I agree. My thinking is that if you put too much loader on a tractor you might bust it up. But if you use the loader spec'ed for the tractor you should not have a problem.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quick Hitches Does Quick Hitches Compromise Lift Capacity?
    By eastexan in forum Attachments
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 10:55 PM
  2. Quick lift capacity question
    By Piston in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
  3. Lifting Capacity of the Front Mount Quick Attach
    By niedejb in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
  4. Your Loader Lift Capacity....More?
    By jgbanshee in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 10:55 PM
  5. JD 300X/C loader quick attach loader arm brackets
    By BloomingtonMike in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.