Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks
I would put the angle on the front of the bucket. Reason being, when the chain, or wire rope choker wraps over the heel of the angle less chance on bending it. If the toe of the angle iron is out front it will bend in time. I think I'd run the angle iron out all the way to the edge of the bucket.

OK, that makes sense. I started thinking about the D ring too. If I put the angle on the front, I could weld the D ring to the front vertical section of the angle in the center of the bucket so I could use that for rope or S hook straps.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #22  
Putting angle on the front, like in the second picture, won't give you much additional strength. Even if you completely face welded them together. You put it on the back side to make a tube. The idea is to put the width in line with the direction of pull, and then put something at a 90 degree angle to keep it from twisting. Think I-beam or angle iron.
Don't poo poo the bolt on hooks just because you have a welder. They are used because they don't weaken the area they are mounted to. If you are worried about them loosening, spot weld the nut.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #23  
Putting angle on the front, like in the second picture, won't give you much additional strength. Even if you completely face welded them together. You put it on the back side to make a tube.

Thats what I would do as well and was my first thought when I saw the pictures. I would overhang the angle too past your hooks a decent distance if you dont plan on going all the way to spread out the weight/ twisting forces. The angle on the front of the lip could still tear and peel up the rounded bend, at least if the angle is on the backside its helping out the front lip by spreading the stress out.

Ps- the bucket looks pretty stout, if it were me I would think you could just gusset the top lip to the bucket top in the area of the hook placement, but that my opinion.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #24  
Putting angle on the front, like in the second picture, won't give you much additional strength. Even if you completely face welded them together. You put it on the back side to make a tube. The idea is to put the width in line with the direction of pull, and then put something at a 90 degree angle to keep it from twisting. Think I-beam or angle iron.

Thats what I would do as well and was my first thought when I saw the pictures.
You two have a really good point. I wonder about using two pieces of angle iron one front and back. But the back one would have to be structural angle where one leg is longer than the other. That way he could get a weld down on the back of the bucket. Or weld a piece of flatbar to the toe of the angle iron so the flatbar could be welded to the back of the bucket. Make your own C-channel with one long leg.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #25  
I welded some 3/8 stock on top and underside lip of my bucket, then welded on the hooks and a 2-5/16 ball.

Attachments

• 0327111410.jpg
    0327111410.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 684
   / Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #26  
I think that someone has already said this, but keep in mind that this is a tractor that will lift 1065lbs at the pivot and 730lbs at just under 20inches out. Just how strong does it need to be? It's not like we are talking about an M model here. I know that it needs to be done right, but I would be considering the actual capacity of the loader for what really needs to be done. ;)

just my :2cents:

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #27  
Not wanting to hijack the thread here but wanted to know how you like the piranha toothbar?

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #28  
I think that someone has already said this, but keep in mind that this is a tractor that will lift 1065lbs at the pivot and 730lbs at just under 20inches out. Just how strong does it need to be? It's not like we are talking about an M model here. I know that it needs to be done right, but I would be considering the actual capacity of the loader for what really needs to be done. ;)

just my :2cents:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said! Great point Brian.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #29  
That's why I didn't get too carried away with my bracing. Welding the flat bar between the rear lip and the back of the bucket formed a box section of steel, and that's strong enough for anything I'll do with it.

Most of us over-build things, I've been doing it for so long now that I have to tell myself "You really aren't building a bridge here.."

I find that the Kubota buckets are built pretty strongly to begin with.

Sean

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks
Not wanting to hijack the thread here but wanted to know how you like the piranha toothbar?

I haven't had a chance to wring it out yet but based on all the reviews I could find all the users love them. The edge on the teeth are really sharp so if I build up enough speed, I could probably mow the lawn with it!