Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I want to add a couple weld on chain hooks to my B3200 bucket. It's a 60 inch wide standard Kubota bucket.

bc329242-5ca5-48a0-9da2-2acbc359cee6_zps9f139df6.jpg

From everything I've learned on the forum, I need to (or at least I should) reinforce the top lip of the bucket to keep from making my bucket smile. I know about not mounting the hooks outside the arms so I plan on putting them inline with the two loader arms. I'll probably add a slip hook in the center.

This is where I need your advice. I'm planning on reinforcing the bucket with a 3X3 section of angle. But, am I better off to put the angle on the front of the bucket?

c8f10f22-dd42-4d89-8108-484a5d1a6f85_zps1bf92547.jpg

Or, would it be stronger on the back of the bucket? Or, doesn't it matter?

IMG_5234_zps112c8115.jpg

The piece of angle I used for the photos is a 2X2, I just wanted to illustrate what I was asking about. If I put the 3X3 on the rear I plan on welding it to the top of the lip then to the back of the body of the bucket. I figured this would essentially make the top section of the bucket a square tube. Then I'll weld the hooks on top of the 3X3.

If I weld the 3X3 to the body of the bucket as well as the top of the bucket, would I still need to go the entire width of the bucket? If I do then I have to cut off the bucket level indicator and weld it back on later. Or, would it be strong enough if I went 6 inches or so past the arm brackets on the bucket?

Next question is on welding the 3X3 to the bucket lip and body. Would stitch welding be strong enough or should I seam weld the whole thing? I'm just worried about a seam weld possibly distorting the bucket.

The other thing I want to do is weld on a forged "D" ring on the back of the bucket.
2738-lashing-ring-weld-on-1-2-x-12-000-lbs-forged-mounting-ring_1_375.jpg

The one I have will fit on the angle that's welded between the loader arms. But, is there any benefit to welding the D ring to a separate piece of angle that then gets welded to the angle on the back of the bucket? Essentially I would be doubling the thickness of the angle piece on the back of the bucket, but I didn't know if I should (or need to) reinforce that or not. The 2X2 angle fits perfectly over the angle that's on the back of the bucket already. I'd weld it centered to the underside of the angle so I could use the bucket for lifting from the back side.

03913753-37b2-48dd-85f6-1dfed6100523_zpsb60ac27f.jpg

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #2  
I think I'd go with the second picture, angle iron out front. Yes you want to skip weld it, so you don't warped the bucket! Before painting I would use some chalking between the welds, and ends so you don't have to worry about water getting under the angle iron. I really like the idea of using angle iron, better than a double plate under the hooks or D-rings. Pickup more surface with the angle iron.:thumbsup:

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #3  
Interesting looking tooth bar ya got there.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #4  
Not saying it wouldn't work, but I have never seen any one weld anything to the back of the bucket where you picture your D rings. It looks like it would be a real bear to get behind or under the FEL to hook anything on to the d ring. Most folks just tip their bucket to full down tilt and use the hooks or put d rings on the angle reinforcements along with the chain hooks. I suppose you would be getting a bit more lift from the back of the bucket but it would be so much harder and somewhat dangerous to hook you lift straps

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #5  
Here's a pic of the "hooks" I've used on two tractors. This is the bucket of the B7500 I had. The L3200 sports very similar angles. They work nice because all you need to do is drape the chain into the slots and they hold it at any link. If using a longer than needed chain, it's simple to drop the excess into the slots to keep ut out of the way

Chain Hooks.JPG

Attachments

• Hooks.jpg
    Hooks.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,000
   / Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #6  
There are a few pics of my B3030 bucket here......

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/140902-adapting-skidsteer-qa-my-kubota-3.html

Though I used flat stock, I butted my SSQA to it to form an angle. If it were me, I'd put the angle to the rear of the bucket, but thats mostly because I think it would look better. I seam welded mine, but did it in stitches (and connected them after they cooled) to not distort the bucket. I also drilled some holes and plug welded them on the top of the bucket, though it is just overkill since our loaders only lift around a thousand pounds.

I'll also agree that putting the D ring on the back will not make it terribly useful. Not just potentially dangerous hooking things to it with the bucket up, but you will find that when lifting from the back of the bucket.... whatever you are lifting will be resting against, or swinging into your grille guard.

I would consider attaching some type of 2" hitch reciever tube in the center. This will leave you virtually unlimited to what you can add. Anything from a short boom pole to a ball mount for moving trailers around. That is probably where I'd use the D ring.... just weld it to some 2 x 2 tubing to fit into the reciever. I would certainly have done this on my bucket if I hadn't already made a seperate attachment for lifting and moving trailers.

I also wouldn't go outside of the center of the loader arms on your hooks.

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #7  
Teikas Dad, here is how I beefed up the bucket on my B3030. I did not install the bucket hooks. I paid Messicks $50 when I purchased the tractor from them to have them weld the slip hooks on. They put them on the edges! I used a piece of angle and mounted it like your third picture. It was just long enough to touch the back of the bucket where I (if you look close) spaced the welds out. I then added the center receiver and the two slip hooks on each side of the receiver. I feel it is quite strong now. See the attached pictures.

Attachments

• 100_2278.jpg
    100_2278.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 977
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,869
  • 100_1429.jpg
    100_1429.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 770
   / Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #8  
I have a hook welded on the "heel" of the bucket, on the center line where you indicated the D ring going. It's handy if you have the bucket loaded with tools and don't want to remove everything before you lift something. Awkward hooking the chain, but other than that it's fine.

I reinforced the upper bucket lip by welding a piece of flat bar between the back of the lip and the bucket as a stiffener. Nothing's bent yet. I agree to weld your outer hooks in line with the loader arms. I welded mine near the outer edges of the bucket, which isn't ideal. Hind sight really IS 20-20. The picture doesn't show the center hook on the top lip and the reinforcement, it wasn't done when this was taken.

DSC00338.jpg

Sean

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #9  
I have a hook welded on the "heel" of the bucket, on the center line where you indicated the D ring going. It's handy if you have the bucket loaded with tools and don't want to remove everything before you lift something. Awkward hooking the chain, but other than that it's fine.
View attachment 301074Sean
Now that is a very intelligent idea! :thumbsup:

/ Educate me on beefing up the FEL bucket to add hooks #10  
I really didnt want to weld on my new bucket so I made mine bolt on. Just another idea to play around with.
Steve

quick13.JPG