Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #11  
Re: Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

Add a safety belt ,either way.

I would make sure of an strong enough attachment point for a safety harness also and make sure your wearing one. I have seen what happens when worers have been thrown out of lifts.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #12  

I built one for the builder I worked for that had rails made of 2in metal conduit. Very light but good and strong. made the front rail removable and a gate on each end that was removable so it could be used as a big platform with only a back rail. If you are going to mount it to the forks "square" tubing works well. We made the floor out of 3/4 advantec that stuff just does not come apart, we used it for sub floor in the houses we built.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #13  

I would make the top rail 42" high.
I would make a 6" high "kick plate" all the way around the bottom to prevent a foot from slipping out.
I would NOT make it pallet fork mounted. Forks could protrude out the front and damage something the tractor operator does not see.
I you have a door, make it so it can ONLY open IN, NOT out.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #14  

I would make the top rail 42" high.
I would make a 6" high "kick plate" all the way around the bottom to prevent a foot from slipping out.
I would NOT make it pallet fork mounted. Forks could protrude out the front and damage something the tractor operator does not see.

All good sugestions. Sounds like the one we use at work. I've been up 50'. You should have a top rail at 42" a mid rail and a toe kick. The ones we use have tabs out the back to put a pin through to lock it to the forks, that is when the operator remembers .

Jeff

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #15  

Excellent idea! Definitely want a high railing because of the tractors ability to dump the forks accidentally, which in turn could dump the manlift's cargo, ie. your worker(s). You could go either way, forks mounted lift or QA plate attached to your loader arms.
Could you take a stock scaffold and re-work it to your needs? Or something similar as a base to start with?

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #16  

I would make sure of an strong enough attachment point for a safety harness also and make sure your wearing one. I have seen what happens when worers have been thrown out of lifts.

I used to tell my guy's that if they fell, on the way down, they were fired. And when they hit the ground, they were trespassing:laughing:
I built a lift that fit on the forks, this way they were much more universal and a natural for a telehandler. I made the platform @ 4' above the ground for extra height and it was able to give a worker about a 12' "reach" while sitting on the ground (no tractor) The platform is about 4x12, all structural steel. It has a "cradle" on the back to hold lumber or tools. The front side (away from the tractor) will open up completely, like for working on a wall or setting windows & doors. Sorry, the pics are not that great.

Attachments

• DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC00385.jpg
    DSC00385.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 1,014
   / Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

I

Excellent Idea I had not considered. thanks

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #18  

Here's mine. No door, kept it simple.

Just built out of scraps so dimensions came out to what ever.

0642.jpg

0643.jpg

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #19  

IMG_0859.jpgIMG_0860.jpgIMG_0861.jpg
This mine. used metal and cost was about 8 dollars overall....even used some heavy angle iron at a 45 degree angle for the QA to 'hang' on and then rebar for the hole to take the pins on the bottom.I have already used it as a ''bucket'' to move washer and dryer. (lightweight stuff like that)..So if you have no/or removable from rail then you and double the use.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #20  

Here one I built for my 110tlb it is used with my pallet forks. The floor is a standard 7' scaffold board and can be raised to the top if needed. I also have a set of drop in top rails for the hier positions if needed. It does bolt to the pallet fork backstop to prevent it from sliding off the forks.

While these manlifts are handy they are a liability issue too, sure need to be careful when using them.

Attachments

• platform for forks 2 003.jpg
    platform for forks 2 003.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • platform for forks 2 001.jpg
    platform for forks 2 001.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 1,442