Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #21  
Re: Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

I have no direct experience with a manlift; but I'll still throw in my 2-cents. :2cents:

1) What in your opinion would be the ideal dimensions? I was think 2 or 3 ft. wide and about 7 or 8 ft. long

I don't know if there are truly ideal dimensions; but I would think 30" to 36" wide would be good. Just wide enough to be able to move around; yet narrow enough to be agile. You want the length to be long enough to minimize relocating the tractor constantly; but not so long that it becomes a pain to get the lift into position.

Here is a bunch of forklift platforms that may give you ideas.
Forklift Work Platforms : Industrial Work Platforms : Warehouse and Dock Equipment : C&H Distributors

2) Would you build it so that it attached to your pallet forks, or would you build it to attach directly via the tractor FEL skid steer quick attach? What would be advantages or disadvantages of either method?

Both methods have their merits; but if you intend to go less than 42" - 48" wide (e.g. fork length); then I'd go for a direct loader mount to minimize the chance the fork ends would stab something of value.

3) What would be the ideal rail height? (Im thinking a little over waist height)

36" - 42" high, leaning towards 42".

4) would you build a gate in one end to keep from having to climb over each time?

I'd consider an inward opening gate on each end in case you get near a building or other structure that may block entry and exit on the side you have the lone gate.

thanks

Others have suggested a kickplate to keep your feet from slipping over the edge. As I recall from when I've done some structural stair and platform detail drawings that a 1/8" thick by 4" kickplate is pretty standard for industrial applications.

If you and a friend are going to be in the basket while another buddy lifts you into position; then I'd consider some sort of removable chain limiter on the loader to prevent the tractor operator from accidentally dumping you out of the basket.

Others have mentioned a place to tie-off on the basket, and the back guardrail would work for that.

I have thought about a manlift for my loader, and since I generally work alone; I'd also consider some sort of level indicator that I can read from the tractor seat to tell me I have the basket level enough for comfortable work. I've also thought about some sort of folding ladder that would allow me to enter and exit the basket when it's at working height.

Please post pictures of whatever solution you choose.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #22  

Wow none of those would meet OSHA requirements.

From a pipefitter that spends almost everyday on a boom lift, scissor, or snorkel lift, I can honestly say that I wouldn't ride around in any of those pictured as home made. Use the outline from the poster that said to make the top rails at 42", kick plate, and the door opening in not out. His reply was almost there. You will need a mid rail and tie off points for a harness at the bottom of the basket, not the top. People like to tie off to the top rail but if you fall out, especially from a tractor only 12' high, your safety line will pull open and the height of the man will impact the ground below. By tying off to the bottom of the basket, when your man goes over, most of his line will be in the bucket going over the top rail thus he won't hit the ground.

Legally, someone must be in the cab at all times and in control of the device as well. The operator cannot leave the seat until the basket is on the ground. Hydraulics can fail, engine/transmission locks can pop out from the basket movement, locked brakes can fail, etc...

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #23  

Wow none of those would meet OSHA requirements.

Thank God I don't have to pay attention to OSHA at home. Bad enough at work. :confused2:

Jeff

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #24  

Yeah but the outline for a safe man work platform from OSHA is simple enough and is sound advice that should apply to all. Nothing in the requirements is onerous, nor impractical.

I ask any of you, why not? Not one of you could find fault with the basket/manlift requirements. I mean come on, is it too much to ask for a top rail, a mid rail, toe kick, a gate or chain, and a tie off point? A guy's life is at stake. Your life. Your best friend/neighbor's life. Many of you put your 12 year old child in the thing with a 48" chainsaw and tell em "have fun". Wouldn't it be nice if they made it to 13?

And anyone who thinks wearing a harness in the basket is nuts, is nuts. From my own personal experience with boom lifts (which applies to a tractor lift more than comparing it to a scissor lift or man jack) is that it's a **** bumpy ride up there and it's easy to be catapulted out. I've been there dangling from my harness before and had to be rescued from 25'. The ground below my 140' boom lift fissured and gave way allowing the front tires to drop about 3' until the lift was on it's belly. I was coming down and had about 60' of stick out and that 3' drop in the lift translated into an instant drop of about 30' on my end. I was kicked to the floor like a rag doll during the when the basket fell 30' in about 2 seconds and subsequently thrown over the railing when the drop stopped abruptly and changed direction. It hurt like **** dangling there. Bet the bottom would have hurt worse. Thankfully we had more lifts around to come get me.

That's my story, yeah I know some other bad *** on here will have a much better story about how he lived from a 200' fall and just had to dust the dirt off his shirt to go back to work. I've got 20 years in with the same company doing the same line of work and hope to have another safe 20 ahead of me.

Just sayin.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #25  

I understand the need for these type lifts. I've also seen what happens when a hydraulic hose on the up side of a cylinder breaks without warning. Just be careful out there.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #26  

I have a long stick with a cupducktaped to the end so i can reach down and control the lever..:laughing::laughing::laughing: (true)

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #27  

The kick board also keeps tools from falling out!:thumbsup:

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #28  

A lot of good points have been made. My concern is the width. 8' would put you outside the wheel base of the tractor. Put 200-300lbs on one side of the basket on slightly uneven ground and there could be problems.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #29  

A lot of good points have been made. My concern is the width. 8' would put you outside the wheel base of the tractor. Put 200-300lbs on one side of the basket on slightly uneven ground and there could be problems.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

You beat me to it. Too much flex for that system. Try your neighbours to get a feel for it - plus follow OSHA... if something happens your insurance may not cover you and it will too late to find out.

Remember do as I say not as I do...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/262177-redneck-staging.html

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #30  

None of these are OSHA compliant. Even if built to the specs above. The loader must be rated by the manufacturer for this use, usually requiring locking cylinders in case of hydraulic failure, and the loader would have to be re-rated by the manufacturer based upon the weight of the basket. And yes you are completely right OSHA does not care how un-safe you are at home. For any commercial work this would not fly.