Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #31  
Re: Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

None of these are OSHA compliant. Even if built to the specs above. The loader must be rated by the manufacturer for this use, usually requiring locking cylinders in case of hydraulic failure, and the loader would have to be re-rated by the manufacturer based upon the weight of the basket. And yes you are completely right OSHA does not care how un-safe you are at home. For any commercial work this would not fly.

I hear what you are saying, but I would feel safer in almost all of these than on the top of a 12' stepladder or ladderjack. I would think that a good tall rail,a way to secure it on the forks and a place to secure a safety belt and it would work for occasional jobs.

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #32  

Do not get me wrong I do many many things at home that are very far from OSHA regulations. My wife and I are provide OSHA training and I am one of her favorite subjects in class on how NOT to do things. One of her favorites is the 32 foot extension ladder in the bucket of the tractor to reach the peak of my house!! I am simply saying that for an employer this would be a major set of violations.

Be Safe

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #33  

Here's a MUCH safer way :D

Attachments

• forklift-lifting-a-forklift.jpg
    forklift-lifting-a-forklift.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3,284
   / Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #34  

I agree with most of the recommendations: 1 - 42" high rail with a middle rail, 2 - 4-6" high kick board, 3 - If a door, open it in, 4 - if 5' wide or less, fork mount where the forks slide into tubing with a safety chain to prevent it from sliding off the forks works ok. However, if your forks do not latch at the bottom as well as the top, go with the direct mount. If any wider, have it a direct mount to the loader. Otherwise you will have a lot of flex r/t slop in the forks. Make it stiff enough it will have minimal flex when you are standing in an outer corner. I made mine 36" x 10' wide so I could drive along side a house & reach sideways over flower beds. (No picture, it's at my brothers place.)

/ Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks #35  

I built this a few years ago, oh yes use weight on the rear.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2d9xlr4.jpg