Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader

Default Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

Im planning to build a "man lift or work platform" to use on the FEL of my tractor. I think it will come in handy for trimming limbs, painting overhead entrance, and general work on barns, deer stands, etc. My neighbor has one (pictured below) that he uses regularly. His is built to work in conjunction with a set of pallet forks or hay forks. I have a couple of designs in mind and would like your opinions / advice.

1) What in your opinion would be the ideal dimensions? I was think 2 or 3 ft. wide and about 7 or 8 ft. long

2) Would you build it so that it attached to your pallet forks, or would you build it to attach directly via the tractor FEL skid steer quick attach? What would be advantages or disadvantages of either method?

3) What would be the ideal rail height? (Im thinking a little over waist height)

4) would you build a gate in one end to keep from having to climb over each time?

thanks

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

I have thought about the same thing.

1) 3'x8' sounds good to me.

2) I would build it with its own ssqa. The disadvantage of this is the added cost of the ssqa plate. The plus is not having to strap the basket to the pallet forks to ensure it doesn't slide off them.

3) Slightly above waist height is ideal I would think.

4) Yes, a gate with a good latch would be a must.

What type of materials are you thinking about using? I had 1" square aluminum tubing in mind for the frame and a 3/4" plywood floor with a rubber mat over it.

Gold Member
    Tractor

Default Re: Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    I have thought about the same thing.

1) 3'x8' sounds good to me.

2) I would build it with its own ssqa. The disadvantage of this is the added cost of the ssqa plate. The plus is not having to strap the basket to the pallet forks to ensure it doesn't slide off them.

3) Slightly above waist height is ideal I would think.

4) Yes, a gate with a good latch would be a must.

What type of materials are you thinking about using? I had 1" square aluminum tubing in mind for the frame and a 3/4" plywood floor with a rubber mat over it.
    1) I would like for 2 men to be able to be in it at the same time and still have room to work. I think that 8' long would achieve this.
    2) I was actually thinking of using a SSQA piece of equipment I already own as a pattern and building the attachment plate rather than purchase one. (may be more sensible to purchase a plate. not sure)
    4) I have lots of "scrap" material I was thinking of using. Probably round pipe. Regarding the floor, I will use expanded metal or some sort of grating. I want this to be a one time project with no upkeep. I was also thinking of skirting the walls about 6-12" with the same material as the floor so as to prevent thinks like tools, paint cans, chanisaws, gas cans, etc. from falling so easily. what do you think?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Default Re: Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL. Opinions wanted. thanks

Why not just talk to your neighbor and ask him what changes he would make to his original design ?

Gonna put the proper hydraulics on for a man lift?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Gonna put the proper hydraulics on for a man lift?
    No, gonna have to do it the old fashioned way.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

1) Agreed

2) It can be done, depending on fabrication skill and such it could go either way!

4) Looks like you've put more thought into this than I have. Expanded metal floors and skirting sounds brilliant!

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

I was thinking about making something that has 2 functions - one as a carryall box that hooks up to the 3 point. And a box that I can use on the FEL, strapping it to the forks. I want to put a chainsaw scabard and tool holders on it. The video from Wilson outdoors on youtube is part of what I am looking for.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

I came across this one that is made for a small electric powered forklift that looked pretty good. I think if I was building one, it would be similar.Building a "man lift / work platform" for FEL.  Opinions wanted.  thanks-wp_4848_tine_lock_600x600_large.jpg
    Runner

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Add a safety belt ,either way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast