Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #1  

bigblock

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105M
Thought I would share the latest tractor addition. Golight Stryker HID spotlight mounted on the roof of the cab. This is a serious light! Will be handy for finding cows or calves at night. Also good for hunting hogs or coyotes. It has a wireless remote that works up to 100' from the tractor. I put the light about in the center of the roof and the light is quite low so the beam won't hit the ground until about 75' from the tractor but the light is so bright that you really don't need it to be any closer than that. The light is made for longer distance anyway and it does reach out there pretty well. I will have to be careful of low doorways and tree limbs but I don't think it will be a major problem.

Cell phone picture but it gives you an idea of how low this thing is. 0206132104.jpg

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #2  
Now that is way cool! Reminds me as a kid of cars with spotlights. The really neat ones had the handle inside which could be rotated on a couple different axes to point the light as desired.

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #3  
I have one of the Unity spotlights on my truck. I have one on all my old past trucks, too. They are very handy. The newer ones I believe have magnetic mounts with a remote control. Do you have a remote with yours BigBlock?

Attachments

• Spotlight 008.jpg
    Spotlight 008.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 634
  • Spotlight 003.jpg
    Spotlight 003.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 427
   / Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #4  
Yep, I've heard about the Stryker lights...they are on my "some day" list....have considered that one would be just great...but haven't pulled the trigger yet...after some experience, let us know how it works. I think you have the one that can be remotely aimed up/down and 360 degrees, thus following you as you chase the cow/calf all over the place, right?? :D Did you get the magnetic base?

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof
It has a wireless remote that works some distance (they claim up to 100') from the tractor. The remote turns the light on and off and aims it, with two speeds.

I was unable to find a magnetic mount that would stay stuck to the fiberglass roof so I had to get the permanent mount, which is a stainless steel plate that mounts with three screws. The light slides onto the plate and is secured with a screw. I ran the power out the back of the cab and taped it in the grooves in the roof so it looks neat. I will probably wire it through the top of the cab later.

It's a strong light. Much brighter than headlights. I haven't had much opportunity to play with it yet but, so far it looks like a winner.

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #6  
These are great, you're going to love it. I have one on the RTV. I did get the magnetic mount base because I thought it would be nice to be able to switch it to the pickup, tractor, etc., if I wanted.

For the RTV, what I did was cut out a round piece of heavy tin, painted one side black (to match the cab roof), then glued this on the top of the cab with generous beads of 100% silicone caulk. I put a 12V battery on top of the tin plate to squish it down and set up overnight. It's worked well for me - the GoLight has never moved.

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #7  
For the RTV, what I did was cut out a round piece of heavy tin, painted one side black (to match the cab roof), then glued this on the top of the cab with generous beads of 100% silicone caulk. I put a 12V battery on top of the tin plate to squish it down and set up overnight. It's worked well for me - the GoLight has never moved.
I did that with our BX2660 to put a magnetic mount beacon on the roof. Has worked well for several years now.

Aaron Z

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #8  
bigblock, did you get a set of the "Flood Lens" stickers? The spot light is awesome in the way the beam is so powerful, and such a tight beam of light - it seems like it reaches out there a mile.

However, I found that for me it was just a bit too tight of a light beam. I got a set of those mylar stickers they sell for the lens, and they do a pretty nice job of dispersing the light into a bit more of a wider area. It doesn't really turn it into a Flood light, but definitely a more dispersed beam of light. It's something to consider if you find the beam a little bit too tight of a spot light beam.

They come in a pack of 5, so you can peel it off if you want the tighter beam at anytime. They say they are re-useable if you're really careful, but after some number of removals and re-sticking on, you have to start with a new one. I've never removed the first one I put on, as it works better for me with not so concentrated a light beam, so I can't tell you how easy they really are to re-use before going to a new one.

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof
0209131441a.jpg
bigblock, did you get a set of the "Flood Lens" stickers? The spot light is awesome in the way the beam is so powerful, and such a tight beam of light - it seems like it reaches out there a mile.

However, I found that for me it was just a bit too tight of a light beam. I got a set of those mylar stickers they sell for the lens, and they do a pretty nice job of dispersing the light into a bit more of a wider area. It doesn't really turn it into a Flood light, but definitely a more dispersed beam of light. It's something to consider if you find the beam a little bit too tight of a spot light beam.

They come in a pack of 5, so you can peel it off if you want the tighter beam at anytime. They say they are re-useable if you're really careful, but after some number of removals and re-sticking on, you have to start with a new one. I've never removed the first one I put on, as it works better for me with not so concentrated a light beam, so I can't tell you how easy they really are to re-use before going to a new one.

I had never heard of those stickers. Actually, I'm pretty happy with the light as it is. A friend stopped over last night with a standard Golight and the difference is quite striking. The HID is much brighter. It's a whiter light than the regular Golight and much stronger. I guess it's worth the extra money if you need a powerful light.

Here's a better picture showing how the light looks on the tractor.

/ Remote Spotlight on Cab Roof #10  
Check out Golights,not cheap.coobie