How do you store you logging/tow chain?

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #321  
I found my billfold back in August after loosing it in a twenty acre field. Took me an hour and forty five minutes walking to find it. People at the bank though it hilarious when I brought in the chopped up bills to get them replaced. Especially when I took them out of my chopped up wallet.

Bad thing about it is that the wallet was a ten year old Coach brand that was solid leather. Even inside the pouches it was leather. Credit cards would not fall out but would come out with a gentle tug. I could not find another of any brand without the insides of the card pockets being cloth and the cards falling out ever time I opened it. Luckily we purchased one as a gift for my father in law when I got mine and he had never used it. So he gave it to me.

Had mowed on the same tractor for forty years and never lost a wallet and had it fall out twice in one month.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #322  
In our UTV, we purchased a plastic ammo box and store in beneath the seat as seen in photos. There are 2 choker chains in the box, one rather short and the other 15ft long. Yes they are smaller gauge chains for UTV use. 5/16 grade 70

Attachments

• IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2811.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 536
   / How do you store you logging/tow chain? #323  
RSKY,
The King Ranch Saddle shop has an all leather wallet that holds over 10 cards and they stay in place. It is over $100 with shipping but is a great wallet.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #324  
As if I just spent however long reading 323 posts on storing chains. Ah, life with a tractor!

Thanks for all the ideas though!

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #325  
A little off the thread but there was an old guy on the road crew who plowed my stretch of road. He kept the chain under the truck seat near the heater. When I got stuck the chain he gave me was warm. Pretty nice at 5 below.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #326  
A little off the thread but there was an old guy on the road crew who plowed my stretch of road. He kept the chain under the truck seat near the heater. When I got stuck the chain he gave me was warm. Pretty nice at 5 below.

Ha! But that's where I'd keep my hot pastrami sandwiches. :)

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #327  
I like to have my chain with me at all times but haven't found a good place to put it on my tractor. How do you deal with this? Thanks.

So many great ideas. Since fabricating a long steel bar that I welded on 3 seperate hooks that are bolted to the top of my loader I always keep a 16' long 3/8" chain looped around the outer two most hooks nice & tight. Works well because the chain is never inside the bucket, tight enough not to rattle around and scratch paint and is always available to pull someone of something out. Don't have a pic of the chain wrapped around the hooks but here is the newly installed bar stock & hooks.

hooks-54d-2.jpghooks-54d-3.jpg

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #328  
So many great ideas. Since fabricating a long steel bar that I welded on 3 seperate hooks that are bolted to the top of my loader I always keep a 16' long 3/8" chain looped around the outer two most hooks nice & tight. Works well because the chain is never inside the bucket, tight enough not to rattle around and scratch paint and is always available to pull someone of something out. Don't have a pic of the chain wrapped around the hooks but here is the newly installed bar stock & hooks.

View attachment 583315View attachment 583316

Nice fabrication job!

Maybe a slight risk, but one I'd stay alert for, is the chain loosening and dropping down off the hooks onto your hood unexpectedly when the bucket is raised to full extension and rolled back.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #329  
Nice fabrication job!

Maybe a slight risk, but one I'd stay alert for, is the chain loosening and dropping down off the hooks onto your hood unexpectedly when the bucket is raised to full extension and rolled back.

Thanks ! That is a very good observation and something that I will certainly keep an eye out for and had not considered even though I try to keep the chain pretty tightly wound.