18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #1  

etap

Tractor
iz4818 zero turn husqvarn & 1864 cub cadet
My engine has 350hrs and runs fine,but If I put two mufflers instead both small pipes go into one muffler,could I pick up more power.THX

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #2  
I would say that if you did get more power it would not be a noticeable difference in that small of engine and might cause loss of power due to carb settings. Even fuel injection systems sometimes have to be reset when changing exhaust on motorcycles which is my only experience with that. I wouldn't think it could be much restriction on the small engines considering how loud the exhaust is on them.

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #4  
I doubt you would notice any difference. I had 2 mowers that were the same same except for the engines. The one had a 8hp engine and someone had put a 10hp engine on the other. I could not tell any difference in them.

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #5  
Unless you're willing to calculate and build tuned length pipes, there is nothing to be found unless the original system is restrictive.

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #6  
There's a lot of owners of Kawasaki-powered ZTR's who would like a few more HP, but attempting to fabricate a "performance" exhaust is probably not the best idea to get there.

Kawasaki engines often are manufactured so that one basic unit can be offered in several HP ratings. The engine size (displacement), as well as 99% of the part numbers, remains the same, but some relatively minor items, such as the carb shaft are different. Thus the same series engine can have a 19 HP rating with one carb shaft, a 21 HP rating with another carb shaft, and so on. A HP range of 4-6 can be expected, normally.

Since the carb shafts are interchangable, it could be a simple matter, for example, to purchase a 23 HP carb shaft for an original 21 HP engine to gain more power.

More power means a decrease in fuel efficiency, of course. Another downside is the possible need for an oil cooler. The upper end of a series of engines will often come with a cooler, so it is best to duplicate this practice when swapping carb shafts.

Maybe the engine in your ZTR would fit into the upgradable catagory.

Here's a discussion from another forum wich will help explain the procedures: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=317558

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #7  
My engine has 350hrs and runs fine,but If I put two mufflers instead both small pipes go into one muffler,could I pick up more power.THX

I have that same engine in a lawn mower/tractor......I really don't think you'd be accomplishing much at all....don't bother.:thumbdown:

Last edited:
   / 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #8  
I wouldn't. There's a reason why those smaller engines are configured that way. Could be because of back pressure needed. Wind up with some burnt valves and loss of horsepower in the end

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust #9  
baf6.jpg

baf3.jpg

baf5.jpg

baf4.jpg

baf1.jpg

baf2.jpg

baf7.jpg

baf8.jpg

:)

/ 18hp Kawasaki engine on a zero turn and was wondering if I dual exhaust
You did an outstanding job! Did you have to adjust the carb. since it reduce back pressure. That took some time, and really looks good. THX