Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything?

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
I am making a ballast box out of an old worksite/ job box. It will double as a tool storage/trunk as I will leave an area 12" H x 16"x4' open. Best weight guess would be about 1400#, but I could always add more weight to the 'storage' area. I have the standard receiver hitch (flush mounted), with a hardned pin welded to a long handle. You can see the hole and the holder for the pin. The pin will travel through the metal pipe pictured. The other side will function as a ax, shovel, etc tool holder. I have used three nuts on the inside of the box so that I can remove the mounting bolts at any time, as the concrete will hold the nuts in place. I also have place several more of the coupler nuts/bolts above tool holder bracket to install eye bolts to use for bungee tie downs. The upper mounting bracket area is not finished yet, but will be after the pour is completed. I have applied silicone to all points where the box was cut for mounting bars. So am I forgetting anything?

Attachments

• bboxa.JPG
    bboxa.JPG
    692.2 KB · Views: 387
  • bboxb.JPG
    bboxb.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 236
  • bboxc.JPG
    bboxc.JPG
    356.5 KB · Views: 228
  • bboxd.JPG
    bboxd.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 182
  • bboxe.JPG
    bboxe.JPG
    426.1 KB · Views: 250
  • bboxf.JPG
    bboxf.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 238
  • bboxg.JPG
    bboxg.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 246
  • bboxh.JPG
    bboxh.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 370
  • bboxi.JPG
    bboxi.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 372
  • bboxj.JPG
    bboxj.JPG
    705.6 KB · Views: 453
  • bboxk.JPG
    bboxk.JPG
    603.4 KB · Views: 317
  • bboxl.JPG
    bboxl.JPG
    662.7 KB · Views: 353
   / Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #2  
Looks and sounds like this is going to be one heavy beast. Can it be too heavy? I think so, so be careful on just how heavy you make it or how you can adjust the weight down when not needed. Otherwise, great idea and nice looking finished product.

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #3  
Wish i had that on my ford 3000 loader.
I have about 900 with a drum.

You could add pipes to hold shovels on it before filling.

DS

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything?
"You could add pipes to hold shovels on it before filling."

I Should not need pvc pipes as any long tools can be mounted on the side. The shovels, etc would be placed through the large handle loop, with the top of the handle resting against the part that is currently black. If I find the need to, I could secure the shovels with bungee cords to keep them from moving. But a very sincere thanks for the reminder as once its done, its DONE.

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #5  
I can't think of anything else, I assume this is going on a 40 horse tractor, not a BX:) Looks good.

James K0UA

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #6  
I have seen some ballast boxes with casters on the bottom. Still not sure if I would do it or not, but if you like that idea, now would be the time to add them.

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #7  
Casters! That is smart - why not? I guess they would make it a bit trickier to set it down in the dirt/mud. Ok, so, removable casters. win win.

My ballast barrel design is starting to come together in my mind. I think I will include provisions for a removable log/lifting boom towards the top, trailer hitch receiver towards the bottom, tool handle holders (pvc pipes), chain storage, and make the top 200-300 pounds of ballast removable (maybe using weight-lifting weights/dumb-bells, etc).

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #8  
I would guess the force of the concrete will bulge those sides. Don't under estimate the side forces. You could run 2 x 4s on edge outside the box to add temporary reinforcement while the concrete cures.

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #9  
1400 Lbs... wow that's HEAVY! Hopefully you are not mounting it on a CUT but I suspect you know your 3PH and tractor's limitations.
The only other thing I can think of from what you've posted is how do you plan to secure your long hitch pin?
You may want to leave a inch of the conduit pipe stick out through the side of the box so you can secure the hitch pin to it with a hairpin clip.
You might want to add clearance lights to it :)
As for casters... I simply built a H/D "furniture type" dolly from scrap rectangular metal tubing and fitted it with H/D casters.
I simply lower the ballast box on the dolly, pull the pins and roll it out of the way.

/ Ballast box pre-pour, am I missing anything? #10  
Will your top link fit through the mount? It looks close and can it swivel through the whole range of lift?

I would mount it empty on the tractor and confirm clearances. I didn't and had to take a cutting torch to my home made trailer mover.

The mounting nuts inside the box. I wouldn't depend on concrete to keep them from turning without welding torque arms on them. Also, it looks like three nuts are stacked together. Do they function as jam nuts together?

Mounting... looks pretty thin material. The mounts will have to lift a lot of weight and be able to resist dynamic side forces.