Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

Default Re: Added side strobes to my L5740

Good job.

pwt
    Tractor
    John Deere 4320 and Kubota BX25

Looks really nice. Excellent job. I wish / hope I had the understanding to do something like that. How hard is it to figure out all the wiring.

Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Quote Originally Posted by pwt View Post
    Looks really nice. Excellent job. I wish / hope I had the understanding to do something like that. How hard is it to figure out all the wiring.
    Thank you very much!
    Really the wiring was the easy part. On these particular strobes, there are three wires. A positive, a negative, and a wire to change your flash pattern. If you can hook up a car battery you can wire these. I pre-programmed my flash pattern before installation simply using a 12v battery. By attaching the pos. to + and neg to - on the battery then simply touching the 3rd wire momentarily to the +, it scrolls through the different flash patterns. Then I ran a wire from my switch to the strobes, and grounded the neg. wire near by and your done.
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

pwt
    Tractor
    John Deere 4320 and Kubota BX25

High Compression,
    Thank you for the explanation, you make it sound easy, which means you have an excellent understanding.
    But, where do the wires from the tractor come from? do you need to run wires from the tractor battery, is there a connection box somewhere, do you have to install a switch to turn the lights on and off. How do you run the wires. Do you have to tie the wires to an existing light. Clearly showing showing my lack electrical understanding.

Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Quote Originally Posted by pwt View Post
    High Compression,
    Thank you for the explanation, you make it sound easy, which means you have an excellent understanding.
    But, where do the wires from the tractor come from? do you need to run wires from the tractor battery, is there a connection box somewhere, do you have to install a switch to turn the lights on and off. How do you run the wires. Do you have to tie the wires to an existing light. Clearly showing showing my lack electrical understanding.
    pwt,
    I'm sorry, I thought you meant just the strobes.
    Unfortunately the details of each installation will vary from tractor, to tractor, vehicle to vehicle. For example, in my kubota L 5740, inside the cab at the base of the left "B Pillar" (or middle cab post) is a accessory plug with switched (meaning it's only hot when the key is on) and fused 12v as well as a ground. So, I did not have to run any wires from the battery. But I did wire a relay, and a switch to control my lights.

Now keep in mind, on a vehicle, you will need to supply your light with a 12v + source and a - ground at a minimum. You will want to install a fuse and a switch, and possibly a relay depending on the amperage load. I know this sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Picture your battery, you have a big black wire and a big red wire attached to it. The big black wire will be attached to the frame, body or chassis. That is your ground. That is why you can also ground your light to metal where you mount it, because the metal frame, body and chassis are one big "wire" attached to the (negative or -) on your battery. Now from the (positive or +) on you battery, you run a wire and install a fuse then a wire from the fuse to your switch and from you switch to your light. That is how you complete the circuit.
    To bad we weren't closer, I would be happy to help you do an install and teach you along the way.
    Here is a simple wire diagram. Also a video of a tractor similar to yours with strobes in the turn signals.
    Added side strobes to my L5740-led_schematic.jpg

John Deere 3520 Cab Strobe Project - YouTube
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12