Guess what

/ Guess what #1  

KYDan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD
I saw this recently while on vacation and thought it was fascinating. I thought it would be fun to share with everyone as it is a custom modified machine. Some of you may have already seen it and know what it is, but for those that don't it will be a difficult task. At least I think it would be as I would not have or could not have figured it out if I had not seen it where it was located.
Guesswhat.jpg

/ Guess what #3  
I'm guessing some kind of a picker. But, I'm having troubles trying to figure out what one would be picking at a consistant height, maybe 2' or 3' off the ground, and planted in rows.

Perhaps detasseling corn?

But, I think the corn tassels are dropped to the ground rather than being sent to a bin.

Could it be missing a cutting head?

/ Guess what
It does have a cutter, but it is not visible.

/ Guess what
You are pretty close, but that is not what it is used for. A little hint for everyone one is, it is custom fabricated from a harvester and a tobacco sprayer.

/ Guess what #7  
I've seen some machines like this used to harvest garpes.

/ Guess what
OK, it is located in the Charleston, S. C. area at the only tea plantation in the U.S. It cuts the top 5-6" from a tea plant. The plant is in the camellia family. It wasn't in operation while we were there, but they were using and old Ford 3000 or perhaps 4000 on what looked like stilts with a rotary 3 point hitch cutter to mow the tops of the plant as they only use new leaves for tea. The next cutting will be with the unique harvester. Innovative bunch.

/ Guess what
It is an interesting process and according to their brochures the only mechanized tea harvesting operation in the world. All of them in Asia utilize massive numbers of laborers.