Inverter on CUT?

/ Inverter on CUT? #1  

FritzWH

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA, Cub Cadet GT2550
In thinking of installing an inverter on my NH TC40DA so I can run shall power tools like a sawzall or power drill out in the field. Any advice or lessons from those who have done this and would do it differently next time?

/ Inverter on CUT? #2  
The first thing you need to do is check on the alternator and battery specs on your tractor. Many of them don't have enough output to handle an inverter.

/ Inverter on CUT? #3  
   / Inverter on CUT? #4  
The battery really needs to be heavy enough to handle the short bursts. 50 amps at 12 volts vs 13 amp at 120 volts for an electrical saw are very different animals.

/ Inverter on CUT? #5  
The battery really needs to be heavy enough to handle the short bursts. 50 amps at 12 volts vs 13 amp at 120 volts for an electrical saw are very different animals.
50 amps at 12v is 600 watts. 13 amps at 120v is 1560 watts. That means that the saw would pull ~3x what the alternator can put out (factoring in an 80% efficient inverter). Ok for 1-3 mins at a time with 5-7 mins for the alternator to catch up and recharge between, but not something that I would do long term. If planning to do much work needing 13 amps long term, I would probbaly drop in a 1 wire 150+ amp in place of the stock alternator.
However it could work if you were pulling 5-7 amps (@ 120 VAC) for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Aaron Z

/ Inverter on CUT? #6  
I would suggest getting some battery operated tools and use lithium batteries in them and not run the risk of hurting your alt. I prefer sears 19.2 and after I switched to lithium batteries I rarely ever use a corded drill or sawzall now I even have a grinder and 1/2" impact that I use with batteries dont use nicad spen a little more and go to lithium IMHO

/ Inverter on CUT? #7  
2x on lithium. We got the Lowes house brand that had both the circle saw and sawzall and I find the circular saw is just a good at the 120 volt saw for making a few cuts of 2x8 lumber with out the hassle of a cord or getting the lumber near AC power.

/ Inverter on CUT? #8  
In thinking of installing an inverter on my NH TC40DA so I can run shall power tools like a sawzall or power drill out in the field. Any advice or lessons from those who have done this and would do it differently next time?

What about picking up a small generator, either a cheapy for $200, say a 2,000 watt from Tractor Supply, or a better one like a Honda for $500 about the same size. Should run any power tools wherever you happen to be. And you can take it in the truck if you want.

/ Inverter on CUT? #9  
   / Inverter on CUT? #10  
What about picking up a small generator, either a cheapy for $200, say a 2,000 watt from Tractor Supply, or a better one like a Honda for $500 about the same size. Should run any power tools wherever you happen to be. And you can take it in the truck if you want.
That would be the simpler route. If willing to spend a little more, I have used a 1600 running watt inverter type generator (this one: 73531i - Champion Power Equipment) when working away from power and it was nice as it throttled back as soon as you stopped using power.

Aaron Z