Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40DA, Cub Cadet GT2550

Default Inverter on CUT?

In thinking of installing an inverter on my NH TC40DA so I can run shall power tools like a sawzall or power drill out in the field. Any advice or lessons from those who have done this and would do it differently next time?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7500HST

Default Re: Inverter on CUT?

The first thing you need to do is check on the alternator and battery specs on your tractor. Many of them don't have enough output to handle an inverter.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Mendonsy View Post
    The first thing you need to do is check on the alternator and battery specs on your tractor. Many of them don't have enough output to handle an inverter.
    Per ALTERNATOR NEW HOLLAND TRACTOR COMPACT TC40DA TC45 TC45A TC45D 40-45HP : Amazon.com : Automotive the OEM alternator is a 50 amp alternator. Should be enough to run an inverter for at least short bursts of time.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

The battery really needs to be heavy enough to handle the short bursts. 50 amps at 12 volts vs 13 amp at 120 volts for an electrical saw are very different animals.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    The battery really needs to be heavy enough to handle the short bursts. 50 amps at 12 volts vs 13 amp at 120 volts for an electrical saw are very different animals.
    50 amps at 12v is 600 watts. 13 amps at 120v is 1560 watts. That means that the saw would pull ~3x what the alternator can put out (factoring in an 80% efficient inverter). Ok for 1-3 mins at a time with 5-7 mins for the alternator to catch up and recharge between, but not something that I would do long term. If planning to do much work needing 13 amps long term, I would probbaly drop in a 1 wire 150+ amp in place of the stock alternator.
    However it could work if you were pulling 5-7 amps (@ 120 VAC) for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Tractor
    White - 2-85, Oliver 1600, Ford 961 & Cockshutt 570

I would suggest getting some battery operated tools and use lithium batteries in them and not run the risk of hurting your alt. I prefer sears 19.2 and after I switched to lithium batteries I rarely ever use a corded drill or sawzall now I even have a grinder and 1/2" impact that I use with batteries dont use nicad spen a little more and go to lithium IMHO

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

2x on lithium. We got the Lowes house brand that had both the circle saw and sawzall and I find the circular saw is just a good at the 120 volt saw for making a few cuts of 2x8 lumber with out the hassle of a cord or getting the lumber near AC power.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200

Quote Originally Posted by FritzWH View Post
    In thinking of installing an inverter on my NH TC40DA so I can run shall power tools like a sawzall or power drill out in the field. Any advice or lessons from those who have done this and would do it differently next time?
    What about picking up a small generator, either a cheapy for $200, say a 2,000 watt from Tractor Supply, or a better one like a Honda for $500 about the same size. Should run any power tools wherever you happen to be. And you can take it in the truck if you want.
    Rick

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

A previous thread:
    Adding inverter
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by rmorey View Post
    What about picking up a small generator, either a cheapy for $200, say a 2,000 watt from Tractor Supply, or a better one like a Honda for $500 about the same size. Should run any power tools wherever you happen to be. And you can take it in the truck if you want.
    That would be the simpler route. If willing to spend a little more, I have used a 1600 running watt inverter type generator (this one: 73531i - Champion Power Equipment) when working away from power and it was nice as it throttled back as soon as you stopped using power.

Aaron Z

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast