What would happen if......?

/ What would happen if......? #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
I have a little MF 230 and a MF grader blade that I piddle with on some small projects. Trouble is the blade is well made but not very heavy so it doesn't cut very well. I had considered adding some of my tractor suitcase weights to it but that would require welding some brackets on it. What if I replaced the 3PH top link with a double acting hydraulic cylinder? This would allow me to pick the blade up and apply down pressure to it. Has anyone tried this approach and will it work?

/ What would happen if......? #2  
I don't think you'll be able to apply down pressure with a hydro top link. The lower arms will still float.

As for adding suit case weights I've done the same thing with my old box blade, it worked well.

/ What would happen if......? #3  
Try adjusting the top link so it is longer and makes the angle of your blade cut better. Like " /" and not like this "l". See what I am saying?

/ What would happen if......? #4  
DT86 is right, you cant put down pressure on by extending the top link as the lift arms just float up. ED also has a point that by putting a forward slope to the blade angle it will cut better but you still need some weight to make it go in the ground. Go ahead and add your weights but also lengthen the top link a bit to make it cut more aggressively.

/ What would happen if......? #5  
Can't you just hang the suitcase weights to the top edge of the blade? Either that or some other parts of the blade linkage. I use weights on my landscape rake to get some extra down force.

/ What would happen if......? #6  
Can't you just hang the suitcase weights to the top edge of the blade?

I tried that on my box blade and when it filled up with dirt they would sometimes fall off. I had to hunt a while but I did find them all!

/ What would happen if......?
Adjusting the cutting angle like Ed mentioned doesn't work well on my hard gravel roads and red clay. It'll just bounce around on top of it. Works a little better if I grade it after a rain when it's softer. My blade will rotate 360 degrees so I don't want a bracket and weights to interfer with that. I'll look at it again.

/ What would happen if......? #8  
I had a simular problem this winter using the grader-blade, the blade assembly was less than 120lbs & would take forever to drop in float. I added a 150lb wheel weight inside the frame of the grader blade & bolted it in, works great now.

Shadow 1216121120.jpg

/ What would happen if......? #9  
I had a simular problem this winter using the grader-blade, the blade assembly was less than 120lbs & would take forever to drop in float. I added a 150lb wheel weight inside the frame of the grader blade & bolted it in, works great now.

ShadowView attachment 312726

Don't forget you should have a drop rate adjustment knob at the front edge of the seat near the floor, to make any weight implement drop as fast or as slow as you want. I realize by putting more weight on the implement you made it work the way you wanted, but you could have made the blade drop fast without the weight if you want to by turning the knob counterclockwise.

James K0UA

/ What would happen if......? #10  
Yeah, I would turn my "rate adjustment knob" on the flow-control valve of my tractor for the 3pt, if I had such a valve. My Pasquali 993 has no such flow-rate adjustment. I have thought of changing over alot of the hydraulic system in the future, due to the heavy use of metric-banjo fittings on valves & cylinders thru-out the machine. Also the location of the lever for the 3pt, really peeved me, it's to the left of the steering wheel. So I'm reaching forward with my left hand to control 3pt, steering with my right, plus looking behind me, all at the same time!

Rick1201121133b.jpg0716121728.jpg