Are radial tires worth it?

/ Are radial tires worth it? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
it seems radial tractor tires are becoming a performance option for higher powered tractors.
But for utility tractors, do radial tires provide appreciably better grip?

If this was a car, other than a classic, we'd all say yes immediately.
I understand the need for flotation tires in certain applications, but this seems to be about the efficiency
of putting power to the ground.

Could anyone respond who has had bias tractor tires replaced by radials please?
I'm sure someone has done it...
I'm a "tire guy", always go to tirerack.com to get the best tire for my cars, but no such place for tractors for sure.
The Chinese have just about taken over the garden tractor market, but I'm more interested in knowing
what a nice Michelin radial would do to my CUT's ride. It is sure not very comfortable now...

When we all started using radials on our cars, it was always with the big warning, all four tires only.
Not sure I know if they even make radial front tractor tires.
Since our tractors depend so much on grip, we agonize over R1 vs. R4, but what about the tire itself?
Do Michelins last longer than Firestones? Or BKT's or Carlisles or whatever...
Apple to apples, sort of, do radial tires simply grip better than bias ply?
Are their sidewalls just as strong?

Since we all want more grip, who can educate us on tires?
thanks

/ Are radial tires worth it? #2  
can't really answer your question, but as far as the "always go to tirerack.com to get the best tire for my cars, but no such place for tractors for sure" issue, the best prices I have found have been on ebay. There is a place in OK who's name I can't remember that has the best prices but shipping is high, then there is "tucker tire" that has reasonable prices with free shipping. When the time comes, I will probably use one of them.

/ Are radial tires worth it? #3  
They are supposed to improve traction and in Europe, some of the tractors are licensed as trucks and can be driven highway speeds...

One guy, as a joke even got an Autobahn sticker to drive the freeways of Austria because he met the criteria...

It's not your Grandpa's tractor in many ways today...

/ Are radial tires worth it? #4  
My neighbor has radials on his big tractor and told me that you have to get used to them. Since the sidewall is thin they tend to "shift" sideways from the center of the wheel while traversing across incline.

/ Are radial tires worth it? #5  
They are supposed to improve traction and in Europe, some of the tractors are licensed as trucks and can be driven highway speeds...

One guy, as a joke even got an Autobahn sticker to drive the freeways of Austria because he met the criteria...

It's not your Grandpa's tractor in many ways today...

Some tractors in Europe have so called highway gear. They have front suspension and four wheel brakes.

/ Are radial tires worth it? #6  
Amazing at how comfortable they are and luxurious...

I always check out the tractors when I visit Austria and Germany... some of my friends always have new ones... I think I only see turbo units now... most Fendt and Steyer

/ Are radial tires worth it?
I've seen videos of the Fendts flying along, maybe up to 40mph, and wondered how that would feel...steady or scary/twitchy.
I guess it's for traveling long distances to far off fields. Can't imagine doing that with a filled tire though.

Everything goes so fast...I know, I sound like an old geezer, but you watch the factory movies of these tractors and they are
booking along, far faster than I could imagine driving a tractor pulling an implement. time is money and everyone wants the latter so
I guess the speeds are going up.

Ok, high horsepower, higher speed, maybe not so strong sidewalls. But are they more comfortable? Do those flexy sidewalls improve the ride?
Seems they should...

Hey, everyone always tells you to "get a grip" , so I'm only trying to do that for my tractor...:)

/ Are radial tires worth it? #8  
They still have tractor competitions in Europe that focus on farming skills like haying, plowing etc.

Local little town Austrian team went to South Africa to compete and show case skill and equipment...

My part of California is far removed from AG... still remember when the last truck farm shut down in Oakland CA...

/ Are radial tires worth it? #9  
When we bought our Landini 85F it was used, and the previous owner went with non-Radials, instead of the Good year radials that are std. on the things.
Understandable, considering 600 bucks a tire ain't cheap, so I just ran them untill slippage was messing with sprayer calibration.

They lasted two seasons, and were replaced with the GY radials that have been on it for the last 5 years. Money well spent, even if it was a ridiculous amount.
They wear longer, compact the soil less, slip less in sandy mud, and definately don't pound my spine as bad.
When I mix up a tank of spray dope, I know how much of each section of each field will get covered, so if I end up light or run out before completion, I know something is goofy. With the Radials, I rarely have enough slippage to come out short for a planned section, even after heavy rain or running irrigation real heavy.

I dunno if it's worth it on a CUT or not, and I suppose it depends on what you're doing with it.
The longer wear you'll get out of them, might not be worth the difference alone.

/ Are radial tires worth it? #10  
I know the warranty that come with some radials are worth it. I bought some Michelins 7 years ago, put 60K on them with a 80K warranty, dealer saw cracks in the sidewaal, called Michelin and I got $40.00 per tire credit towards a new set. They only cost $60.00 new 7 years ago.