Ballast Box Upgrades

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #1  

Tim13

Tractor
JD 3320 w/ 300CX FEL
I'm looking to add a ballast box and make a few upgrades to make it as versatile as possible. I'll be using it on a JD 3320 w/ iMatch.

I'm leaning toward just buying the box from Deere and having the local welding shop make the changes I want.

In the image below I've mocked up some ideas based on the fantastic builds and pictures I've found on this site. Let me know what has worked for you or maybe what you would do different.

Inside the box was going to add two (3 if they'll fit) pipes to hold shovel, rake, chain and a slot to hold my chainsaw.

On the back was planning to add two 3/8 grab hooks near the top and two clevis mounts toward the bottom and then a trailer hitch receiver at the bottom center.

Ballast Box Upgrades.JPG

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #2  
Here is my counterweight, that I built from steel scrap. I want to add more weight, and a chain basket, and maybe a tool holder. I think it's around 800#. I decided to use steel because it would be more compact.

Best, Bill Counterweight 003.jpg

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #4  
I'm looking to add a ballast box and make a few upgrades to make it as versatile as possible. I'll be using it on a JD 3320 w/ iMatch.

I'm leaning toward just buying the box from Deere and having the local welding shop make the changes I want.

In the image below I've mocked up some ideas based on the fantastic builds and pictures I've found on this site. Let me know what has worked for you or maybe what you would do different.

Inside the box was going to add two (3 if they'll fit) pipes to hold shovel, rake, chain and a slot to hold my chainsaw.

On the back was planning to add two 3/8 grab hooks near the top and two clevis mounts toward the bottom and then a trailer hitch receiver at the bottom center.

A lot of the guys here have done just what you are planning but I have a different take on it. I don't care much for the idea of leaving an air pocket in my ballast box for tools. I would rather have portland cement for ballast inside the ballast box and weld the tool holders on the outside of the box.

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #5  
Tim, I'd agree with bigtiller, but for a different reason. If you leave this attachment outside the tool holders and chainsaw holder are going to fill with water. Not a pretty place to stick the bar of your chainsaw into. By mounting on the outside you can create drain holes.

I'd also add a chain box.

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #6  
I don't like the idea of using concrete, since it's permanent! So I used scrap metal, including some lead in my JD box.

HPIM2246 (640x478).jpgHPIM2242 (640x478).jpgHPIM2240 (640x478).jpg

I put a 2" receiver tube under the box with 2 RR rail skids. Tool holders are on the outside of the box with a metal tray about 8" down inside for chains & tools. Total weight is 630#, just over the recommended (for my 790) 618#. Everything is bolted on so they can be changed if needed. ~~ grnspot

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #7  
I don't like the idea of using concrete, since it's permanent! So I used scrap metal, including some lead in my JD box.

View attachment 312581View attachment 312582View attachment 312583

I put a 2" receiver tube under the box with 2 RR rail skids. Tool holders are on the outside of the box with a metal tray about 8" down inside for chains & tools. Total weight is 630#, just over the recommended (for my 790) 618#. Everything is bolted on so they can be changed if needed. ~~ grnspot

Some great ideas! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ Ballast Box Upgrades
Thanks for the good ideas. Spoke with local welding shop and they can make a box for $350 using 3/16 steel. It'll be $100 more than the JD box but will definitely be solid. Am I spending unnecessarily?

I really like the idea and pictures of placing the tool holders on the outside and will incorporate that into my design. GRNSPOT110...What are you using to hold your chainsaw?

Also, anyone using hooks on their box to pull shrubs or are you attaching chain to the back of your tractor?

Your input is really helping this come together.

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #9  
I really like the idea and pictures of placing the tool holders on the outside and will incorporate that into my design. GRNSPOT110...What are you using to hold your chainsaw?

Layered 1/4" sheet plastic, sandwiched together!

HPIM2246 (640x478).jpg

That way, the chain only touches the plastic! ~~ grnspot

/ Ballast Box Upgrades #10  
Layered 1/4" sheet plastic, sandwiched together!

View attachment 312729

That way, the chain only touches the plastic! ~~ grnspot

Good Point. I built a scabbord out of light metal. Then realized I can't drop my saw bar in there without dulling the chain. So I widened it to hold the saw with a plastic bar cover on it. Works, but sometimes when I pull it out I get the bar cover too, which always aggravates me.