Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas)

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #1  

KYErik

Platinum Member
Tractor
1977 AC 7000, 1980 JD 2840, 1963 Case 930, 1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe
Factory conversion kits are about $1250 (too much for my liking). I got by spending less than $300 because I had some basic parts on hand.

This tractor was designed with 2 drag links coming from arms protruding from each side of the steering box (which complicated adding power steering- it would have been much easier if there was a stock tie rod and only one drag link). Without power steering, it steered OK when moving fast, but really hard when creeping along, and when stopped, it was a bear to turn the wheels, even after adjusting the steering box.
-
Materials:
A double crank pulley (about $50 off ebay)- so I could run a PS pump and an alternator
Two drop type spindle arms- about $150 for the pair. (for running a single tie rod under the oil pan)
2 truck type tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves (about $50 at local auto parts store) I had to look in a huge catalog to find ends with the right specs
Scrap metal for building tie rod and cylinder end mount brackets.
A self centering type hydraulic steering valve and steering cylinder, pump and most hoses from an early 70's ford 2 ton truck- free from my dad who junked the truck a few years ago.
A new pressure hose running from the pump to the valve (about $30 at local auto parts store) I had to look in a catalog to find a hose with the right specs
A new PS belt (about $10)

I also converted the factory rear exhaust to a stack exhaust to gain more clearance around the pump and to stop gassing myself when I hitched/unhitched 3 point equipment and used my 3 point wood splitter.

I moved the alternator to the right side of the tractor so the power steering pump would be closer to the steering valve (shorter hoses)

I removed the right side drag link and I cut the left side drag link (it is hollow), expanded it and inserted the cut end of the steering rod that was attached to the hydraulic valve. I fabricated mounts for both ends of the cylinders that allow the ends to pivot somewhat so that the cylinder rod wont bind when the axle pivots.

It took a lot of trial and error to get the shape of the tie rod under the pan correct so that it did not hang down too close to the ground and did not hit the oil pan or steering cylinder when the wheels turned or the axle pivoted.

It is not pretty, but it works nicely- it steers like a riding mower (not as easy as a car, but easy enough to turn one handed at low speeds and when stopped). I think a higher GPM pump would make it steer as easy as a car.

Note: the new spindle arms are much thicker where they clamp around the spindle than the originals. The right front tire is 6.5 inches wide and rubbed the spindle arm, so I had to invert that rim for clearance. The left front tire is 6.0 inches wide so it barely clears the spindle arm as is. I have the adjustable front axle set at its narrowest setting.

Attachments

• 102_0686.JPG
    102_0686.JPG
    591.9 KB · Views: 12,360
  • 102_0687.JPG
    102_0687.JPG
    591.9 KB · Views: 6,971
  • 102_0688.JPG
    102_0688.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 7,083
  • 102_0689.JPG
    102_0689.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 2,267
  • 102_0690.JPG
    102_0690.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 4,121
Last edited:
   / Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #2  
I"ll take works great over pretty anytime. a little paint and then it will be purty too. lol

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #3  
That is absolutely great.
Definitely tough to steer when going slow without PS and a loader.
I am wondering if I can make this setup work on my 67 Ford 3000 with the 703 loader installed.

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas)
Power Steering Kits is where I bought the spindle arms. They sell a complete kit for your Ford 3000 pretty cheap ($600)- but it states "not for use with a loader". Maybe it interferes with the loader arms.

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #5  
All of the standard ones I have seen so far have said that. Maybe someone else on here is aware of one that does not interfere with the loader arms or frame.
Most of them use two cylinders, one on each side and there is not enough room. Looks like yours only uses one going under the bottom.
I need to look at that closer.

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #6  
From what I can find it appears the main difference with a loader is the clearance for the cylinders. I have seen several of the ones without a loader that were installed.
It looks like they use longer ones with a different attach point that takes them lower.
Maybe someone on here that has done one has the correct info or a detailed parts list of what they have different fur use with a loader.

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #7  
KYErik you did a great job. I am trying to figure the best way I can make it work for mine.
Not trying to hijack your post.

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #8  
might swap to an orbital steering valve and use a priority valve off your front loader pump.. or a priority valve off the oem pump.

mind you oe and repop ps pumps for them fords are available...

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas)
might swap to an orbital steering valve and use a priority valve off your front loader pump.. or a priority valve off the oem pump.

mind you oe and repop ps pumps for them fords are available...

That is exactly what this guy did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXM-ISkLfjQ It looks like a much bigger job than the way I did it (he had to cut the steering shaft to install the orbital valve and and do all the extra plumbing).

/ Home made power steering on my 1963 Ford 4000 (4cyl gas) #10  
i doubt it is more work. you did a complete refit including the underslug side over draglink :)