LEDs for Kubota

/ LEDs for Kubota #1  

clee4020

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M9540 HD 4x4
Would like to install 2 forward LEDs and 1 rear LED to my Kubota M9540 ROPS. Question #1 is which light?? I am leaning towards the 18w or 27w LEDs. Question #2...spot or flood light?? I imagine the flood or working lights would be best. Question #3...how to wire it up. My first thought was to slice into the wire that feeds my fender lights that come on with the headlights and put a toggle switch to turn on the LEDs as needed. Any other ideas on how to power the lights?

/ LEDs for Kubota #2  
For a rear light I would definitely get a flood. Your tractor may be pre-wired for a rear work light so you could tap in to that and add a switch.

One of these Baja Desings Squadrons OnX in a driving pattern mounted to the ROPS would work really good. I have a pair of their squadron lights and they are awesome, 1 is bright enough for a foward light on a tractor. 1 Baja Desings Squadron would work for a forward light, it would look like a cyclops. You will probably want your headlights on will your front lights are on so you have your tail lights on too

Here is a thread I made comparing 1 Baja Desings Sqadron.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/276240-baja-designs-light-comparison.html#post3264318

/ LEDs for Kubota #3  
tractor stuff 002.jpgtractor stuff 003.jpgI don't know what the setup for the rear work light is on a 9540. My L3240 had a 10Amp feed for the work light which was enough to power the 4 27W LED floods I installed on the ROPS.

Bill

/ LEDs for Kubota #4  
On the 9540 there is a wire in place on each fender for work lights. It is hot with the key on. It is terminated in a connector, under a piece of blue tape.

The Kubota work lights have a switch made into them, but are expensive (like $80 each) and not LED.

Last edited:
   / LEDs for Kubota #5  
I suggest you do a search for 4shorts and LED's as Paul has numerous LED lights on his tractors.

/ LEDs for Kubota
   / LEDs for Kubota #8  
   / LEDs for Kubota #9  
Plastic toggle switches are never better than the quality metal ones. IMO ... and always use these on your toggle switches to make them last... Apm Hexseal Waterproof Bat Toggle Switch Boot USA 1 PC Best Quality | eBay

The switch box, (the box in which i mounted the switches) is plastic. The box was cheap, won't rust, and plenty strong enough to support the switches and wires. I attached it to the ROPS w/ GE silicone, rather than drill holes in the ROPS

You are only switching a 4.5 amp load if you use two lamps like I did. I didn't use the best switches. Do I think plastic switches are better than others? Probably not, but they do work. If you feel that a metal, 20a rated switch is a good way to go, be my guest, it certainly won't hurt.
I had plenty of light. It was an easy installation, and it cost about $150. If you want to upgrade it wouldn't be hard, it just costs more money.:D

I know I will never have any problems with the switches. :thumbsup:I sold the tractor.

One thing I didn't like about the forward looking lights on the ROPS was that they cause some glare on my glasses. If I still had the tractor I would be thinking about another light mount off the loader mounts like these , on my TC40D. Since the regular lights were useless with the loader, I disconected them and fed the work lights off the headlight circuit.TC40D 004.jpg
For as often as I work at night, I don't know if it would have been worth the trouble.

Good luck, Bill