Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #1  

Solinski

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra Max 25
I am planning the installation of a centrifugal air intake precleaner on my 2012 Mahindra Max 25 tractor. I have so far researched 5 brands of the centrifugal style precleaners. The brand I am considering is the TURBO III model 15 (Welcome to Turboョ Precleaner • Heavy Duty Engine Intake Air Precleaners) since it matches my tractors CFM better than most of the other brands and they are reportedly the originator of the centrifugal type precleaner. I have not found much information on anyone installing a centifugal type air intake precleaner on a compact tractor such as mine. I operate my tractor in very dusty conditions here in the Northern end of the Sacramento Valley. Last year I seemed to spend more time :mad:cleaning my air filter than operating the tractor. The installation of the precleaner is a bit :confused:challenging since there is no room under the hood or front grill to mount the precleaner. I have to either :eek:cut cut a hole in the hood or in the right side engine cover panel to route the 2 inch intake tubing to an area near my FEL control lever. This location will be above the thickest dust and will also have the added benefit of a cool air intake. I would really appreciate any and all:confused: ideas, :2cents:eek:pinions, or :thumbsup:suggestions!
Thanks! :DSolinski

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #2  
Turbo II's are very common and a good product. Not much experience with the III, but the manufacturer is reputable.

Do you have an underhood pic to help with planning? To get the best effect of the cleaner it should be up higher. As you suggested you might need to put a pipe up through the hood (or find some other alternate plumbing solution).

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #3  
I have so far researched 5 brands of the centrifugal style precleaners. The brand I am considering is the TURBO III model 15 ....snip.... since it matches my tractors CFM better than most of the other brands and they are reportedly the originator of the centrifugal type precleaner. I have not found much information on anyone installing a centifugal type air intake precleaner on a compact tractor such as mine. I operate my tractor in very dusty conditions here in the Northern end of the Sacramento Valley. Last year I seemed to spend more time :mad:cleaning my air filter than operating the tractor. The installation of the precleaner is a bit :confused:challenging since there is no room under the hood or front grill to mount the precleaner. I have to either :eek:cut cut a hole in the hood or in the right side engine cover panel to route the 2 inch intake tubing to an area near my FEL control lever. This location will be above the thickest dust and will also have the added benefit of a cool air intake. I would really appreciate any and all:confused: ideas, :2cents:eek:pinions, or :thumbsup:suggestions!
Thanks! :DSolinski

Hey! Nice to read that someone else is considering a pre-filter. We live in the pine forest, so it is a fairly low dust environment...but I can't see any downside to adding a pre-cleaner. Truth is that I've been feeling guilty about the Kubota not having one for too long now. Seems like every other tractor I've ever seen came with one from the factory. Our old Yanmars are nearing 40 years old and they both have centrifugal pre-cleaners built on.

And centrifugal pre-cleaners were pretty common add-ons for tractors, cars, and trucks in the 1930s and 40s. Most weren't OEM, but some were. It was common for those old ones to use a mason jar (canning jar) at the bottom to collect the dirt. All it takes for most folks to become a believer is one look at what a centrifugal pre-cleaner collects in the course of a day.

Uh, since you've done some research I hope you won't mind if I trouble you with a couple of questions.... mostly technical stuff, but still worth kicking around.

First of all, technology is always improving....What about those other manufacturers? .... Find out anything interesting or new?

You mention matching the CFM; just how important is that to a centrifugal filter? I'd guess a bunch, but if so then what number do you use? My CFM varies all over the place depending on the work being done.

How much distance is allowed between the pre-cleaner and the primary filter? Just how far away from the primary filter can we mount this thing before it cuts into the engine performance?

And finally...here's a real brain teaser: Can the pre-filter by mounted up-side-down or sideways?
Enjoy!
rScotty

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #4  
I remember air cleaner on old (1950 or perhaps even older) Mercedes Benz four cylinder engines. They had cyclone filter with oil bath on the bottom to catch the dust.

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #5  
Thanks for the web site for the turbo cleaner, I haven't heard of them before. Funny thing, I was thinking about some sort of a pre cleaner for my kubota when I found your post. I went to the turbo site and snooped around but as near as I can figure, their pre cleaners are for bigger engines then what I have. I have the room under the hood but it would have to be mounted upside down. They have an 800 number so I just might have to give them a call. Keep us posted on what you decided to do.
Steve

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #6  
Dang it Solinski, now Im on the hunt for a pre cleaner as well. The intake on the Kubota is straight down and Im thinking that your Mahindra is the same? I found a pre cleaner that uses a "U" shaped hose and I wonder if a set up like that would work. My concern would be dust and such would get in the bottom of the "U". Any one else care to pitch in?

[Parts for Case 1845 Uniloaders/Skid Steer Loaders

ATTACH=CONFIG]315366[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• CASE-1845-AIR-CLEANER-AND-PRE-CLEANER-MOUNTING-PARTS-MACHINES-WITH-GASOLINE-ENGINE-02zR-normal.gif
    CASE-1845-AIR-CLEANER-AND-PRE-CLEANER-MOUNTING-PARTS-MACHINES-WITH-GASOLINE-ENGINE-02zR-normal.gif
    20 KB · Views: 832
   / Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner #7  
I remember air cleaner on old (1950 or perhaps even older) Mercedes Benz four cylinder engines. They had cyclone filter with oil bath on the bottom to catch the dust.

That sounds good. I like the idea of the oil bath on the bottom to catch the dust in spite of the hassle. The way I see it, the whole point of a centrifugal filter is to spin the airstream so that the dust is thrown out to the side of the intake air column and discarded. Spinning the intake air is the easy part since stationary fins will do that. But the system only makes sense if the removed dust is thrown far enough, or stuck to some oil, or caught in a remote container,....or all three. Just as long as it is somehow moved far enough from the vortex that that it can't get sucked up again.
rScotty

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner
Hi,:) rScotty,Steve,redneck,scooby74 thanks for your input! The information I've gathered on precleaners has been pretty much from manufacturers websites, Centri,Turbo, Donaldson, Engineair, etc. So far I have not found much real world user info.on installing a precleaner on a compact tractor . I really wanted to purchase my precleaner and installation parts from local dealers but so far none of them seem very interested, and give the impression that a precleaner is not needed on a compact tractor, which may be true? My wife tells me that I over plan and over build everything, and she's usually right! My Mahindra Max 25 air filter has a 1.750" OD. intake and 1.750" OD. supply to the engine. I plan to use 2" OD. x 2" OD. aluminum air intake tubing and 2" ID.air intake rubber elbows/fittings/adapters. My tractor has a cold air intake outside the engine compartment near the front grill, so installing the precleaner under the hood would cause me to loose the value of the cold air intake. I won't be installing the precleaner very far from air filter( approximatley 12-18 inches) which is about how long my OEM cold air intake hose is. The cold air intake necks down to 1.50" id., so replacing that with 2" od. intake tubing should improve air flow. To answer the question of operating the centrifugal precleaner upside down, there are a couple of mfg. that say that you can, but I would not want to install upside down unless you have no other choice! I have seen some mfg. that advise not to use their precleaner with an oil bath air cleaner,but there must to be a centifugal precleaner that will work with oil bath? Steve as far a U bends, this looks like a place that would cause considerable resistance to the free flow of intake air unless you oversize your tubing, and also, as you mention a dirt trap? Mounting outside the engine compartment gives you the advantage of cooler intake air. I am fortunate since my Mahindra does not have a U hose. I don't have any space to mount the precleaner under hood and very little space outside the engine compartment, but I have been :confused3:scratching my head for quite a while and think I may finally have a doable mounting plan??? I have found precleaners that will work on small engines in rototiller and lawnmowers,etc.( Enginaire Model 1.5-3/20 part #61508 works with engines down to 3 CFM). My engine is 80.4 cubic inches rated 50 CFM at 2500 rpm. My tractor is HST so I mostly run at 2500 RPM which is where the engine puts out the most power. If you run your tractor at a lower RPM than the precleaner is rated then you may need to do some serious research on which precleaner will work for you.The website Enginaire has a formula page (as do most the other mfg). Although (so far) the formula for calculating CFM has been the same for each mfg. I'm almost ready to purchase a precleaner and installation parts. I have emailed Enginaire my request to order online. I will list the parts, costs,troubles,hints,pic's etc. after I start installing. This will not be a cheap project since I'm using all specialized intake parts (to satisfy Mahindra Warranty) $250 to $300+. I also would like to install a dust load indicator or Restriction Gauge(some Dodge diesel pickups have them). This would also tell you (after the fact)if you are too far from your air cleaner to the precleaner and need to use larger piping or shorten the distance? If anyone finds a :eek:simple formula for calculating the functional working distance from air cleaner to centifugal precleaner please let us know! And yes I have to :eek:cut a hole in the side engine cover of my too new tractor. I'm still not sure what to use to dress the cut hole. Enginaire online catalog page 26 has Clamps Collars. This collar may work to dress the cut hole in my cover and support my intake tubing? I emailed Enginare for sizing. If the Collar clamp will not work then I will have to brace the precleaner or piping. As far as new innovations in precleaners it seems that they all work principally the same except Turbo which has a so called straight through flow path ? Well I think this long dreamed of project is finally getting off the ground. Started :licking:fantasizing about a precleaner last summer but got :cloud9:distracted by a new kayak and trips on Humbolt Bay. Keep those ideas,opinions, suggestions,tips,etc. coming!
:dance1:Solinski

/ Max 25 centrifugal intake air precleaner
Hi Steve, Thanks for posting the diagram. Is part #2 a centrifugal or static precleaner ? Looks like its mounted below engine level ? What year and model Kubota is this OEM diagram ? 90 degrees here in Redding yesterday. It is very dry hot and dusty, I am anxious to install a centrifugal precleaner! The air filter element on the Mahinrda Max 25 is $44.00 ( Mahindra says 10 cleanings and replace it) and so far I have not been able to cross reference an after market replacement from to Wix, Baldwin, Fleetguard, etc. On my very long project list is replacement of the OEM single filter housing with a dual element style, but that is another story.
Solinski