Winch Question

/ Winch Question #1  

maxchch

Tractor
Farmtrac 270 DTC
I eventually inched out with logging chains and FEL but I was wondering where the best place might be on a Yanmar 1610D to add a DC powered winch?

Attachments

• 20130427_144350 (3).jpg
    20130427_144350 (3).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 569
   / Winch Question #2  
If your gonna get that stuck you better mount it behind the seat (Up high) so you can still get to it. You will likely have to upgrade your battery as well. You might also consider mounting the winch on your truck and then using it to pull out the tractor.
I'm thinking right behind the seat.

/ Winch Question #3  
High would be bad due to tipping over plus pulling from high would tend to cause the tractor to further dig in.(leverage angles)
Down low would pull upwards (and out)
You drove in when you got bogged down, right? so backing out would be natural. (but you dug yourself in deeper, right?)
So if B4 digging in you had a rear winch and used it to assist you would have gotten out!
I'd go for hanging the winch LOW and in BACK
I have a fairly large winch that I rear low mounted for casual logging and it works great for that but also doubles to pull the tractor backwards in muck with locked brakes. Were I to be deeply mucked in I believe a couple of branches or boards plus the winch would save me anytime.
When I log with engine idling the tractor battery seems to be adequate for the dozen or so logs I do haul out.
I do plan on adding a remote wireless control for ease of operation (plus some sort of spikes to stop backwards slippage).
Rocks or logs under rear wheels just don't hack it.

/ Winch Question #4  
Probably the only place to mount one would be on the front but then you would need a large winch to pull that Box Blade through the mud, requiring a big battery and Alternator. My Kubota B3200 only has a 16 amp alternator. I rely on a highlift jack and a chain come-a-long if I can't get closed enough for my truck winch. Here is me hand winching my Massey. Skip to 3 minute mark. Hard to do this with a modern tractor with safty switches.
Massey 135 Rescued.wmv - YouTube

/ Winch Question #5  
If you have mud like that it's a good excuse to buy a second tractor to retrieve the first one.

/ Winch Question #6  
What about mounting it to a carryall so it can removed if needed?

/ Winch Question #7  
If you are skidding logs, you might mount it in the back, or on the 3pt hitch. Otherwise I'd mount it in the front. It appears as if the front loader crossbar was mostly out of the mud. Would a winch mounted there interfere with the bucket?

You should also find a solid part of the frame below the engine. In that case, your first task might have been digging out your winch, but it would be a good place to attach the winch.

You might consider also adding a snorkel to your tractor, just in case the next time you decide that spinning the tires a little more might help.

/ Winch Question
Thanks everyone for the helpful advise and the comic relief. Maybe I'll look for one of those chain come-a-longs. It took a 2 mile walk carrying two logging chains but eventually I was able to inch out a few links at a time by attaching one end to a tree and using my bucket. They recently logged my deer lease and there are many hidden low areas like this crusted overon top but not so much below :)

/ Winch Question #9  
I welded 8x10 1/2 plate to an old 2 inch drawbar and bolted a winch to it (or you can buy one Winch Cradle ). I then cut one set of ends off a 20 foot long set of heavy duty jumper cables and attached them to the ends of the factory winch power cables with split bolt electrical connectors and taped them up. Now the winch can be used on anything with a 2 inch receiver and a battery within 20 feet. Get a couple $20 step bumper receiver hitches and fashion some type of attachment for front and back - removable if conditions require it. You can even mount a receiver tube to the back of your implements - easier to pull the whole thing out the way it went in. In your case you could winch and push the tractor backwards with the loader.

I leave mine in an unlocked shed and all my friends know where it is - anyone with a hitch can borrow it. Kind of a community winch.

/ Winch Question
That is an awesome thought. Thanks