Auxillary Power

/ Auxillary Power #1  

bhh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
I'm interested in adding a 120V outlet to my L3800. Ideally I'd like it to have enough power to run an air compressor or power washer. Has anyone done this and have some insights to share? Do I need a PTO generator or can this be powered off the battery with an inverter?

/ Auxillary Power #2  
Those devices are probably going to require somewhere around 10kw to run, so forget the battery approach. You need to check the power requirements for those motors before you do anything.

/ Auxillary Power
Thanks. I don't actually own either yet but am beginning to think through a few projects I need to do further out on my property. The air compressor would be something along the lines of the porter cable 6 Gal pancake compressor. Any opinions on a PTO powered generator vs. a carry-all mounted gasoline generator?

/ Auxillary Power #4  
Better to have stand alone generator. I've needed my tractor for moving snow, pulling out a stuck vehicle or moving firewood when I've needed the generator to power parts of the house.

/ Auxillary Power #5  
If you just need an outlet consider one of the Honda EU generators. The EU2000 weighs 40-50 pounds and powers anything you'd normally plug into an outlet. You can also get 12VDC from the built in inverter. An EU2000 is what I use to power stuff when I'm working on a remote job on the place. When we lose power I use it to periodically run the refrigerator or freezer. If you can run the equipment from a 110 outlet, the Honda will do the job and do it much quiter than the Chinese stuff.

/ Auxillary Power #6  
If you just need an outlet consider one of the Honda EU generators. The EU2000 weighs 40-50 pounds and powers anything you'd normally plug into an outlet. You can also get 12VDC from the built in inverter. An EU2000 is what I use to power stuff when I'm working on a remote job on the place. When we lose power I use it to periodically run the refrigerator or freezer. If you can run the equipment from a 110 outlet, the Honda will do the job and do it much quiter than the Chinese stuff.

Compressors can be difficult loads to start. See if you can try out that compressor on the generator before you buy.

/ Auxillary Power #7  
My generator is a 6500 watt. It will start a pancake compressor on 120 volts.

/ Auxillary Power #8  
Thanks. I don't actually own either yet but am beginning to think through a few projects I need to do further out on my property. The air compressor would be something along the lines of the porter cable 6 Gal pancake compressor. Any opinions on a PTO powered generator vs. a carry-all mounted gasoline generator?

Better to have both if you have the money. Many threads here on this. Your 3800 should handle a 15KW PTO generator. that's generally enough for a standby generator for a house. A portable or pto generator that size retails at about $2K +.

/ Auxillary Power #10  
I have a 3000 watt inverter in my work truck that will easily run my pancake compressor....works best if I plug in one of the 150 watt halogen flood lights first to ramp up the inverter.

Just make sure that you run large enough wire from the battery to the inverter.
My inverter is mounted about 15' from the batteries. I used four old welding cable leads, two positive, two negative. 250 amp marine fuses on each positive lead. Positive leads are encased in one inch air hose to prevent chafing.

I think that the L3800 has a 40 amp alternator so it should be able to keep up recharging the battery.
Not sure about continuous use with a pressure washer