Trying to decide on wheel spacers width

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #1  

number9L

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Kubota L3800, 66" QA bucket, R4 tires. 60" RC and 72" FM

I want to get wheel spacers to make the tractor more stable for mowing along slopes. Choices I see (that aren't too expensive) are 2", 2.5" and 3" spacers for each side.

From what I've read my tractor should be right at 60" wide at the rear tires (58-59 I've read). With the bucket being 66", I am leaning to going with 3" spacers putting the rear around 66" wide as well.

Would 3" (6" total on the rear) be too wide and hard on the axle? Would it be better to have the rear tires a little narrower than the bucket? Should I go with smaller spacers, say 2.5" or even drop down to the 2"?

I am thinking I'd like to go with the 3" and make it as wide as I can but don't want to hurt the tractor and maybe there are disadvantages that I dont know about with going that wide?

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #2  
Hey,
We have built a few 3" for the L3800. The way we build them it becomes an extension of the hub and centers the wheel to bare the load, so it won't effect the axle. Customers have told us the increased wheel base is noticeably more stable. We haven't heard from any customers that have had negative effects on their tractors.

Anybody else on here have 3" spacers and want to share your experience? We're here to learn as well!

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #3  
Wider wheel spacing does put a little more load on the wheel bearings, but as I always say, wheel bearings are WEAR PARTS. That is, they are made to be changed out if they become worn.

Now, what is more important to you...Preventing major tractor damage and potential loss of life associated with a roll-over, or getting another year or two out of wheel bearings that will likely last 30-40years anyway?

The choice is obvious to me...so my tractor measures 8'2" wide to the outside of the tires(though you wouldn't need to go so wide on a smaller tractor like an l3800)...center-to-center measurement is equal with the wheelbase.

-Phillip

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #4  
Also, my bucket is 7'3" wide (I built it before I widened the tractor) and I don't have much problem doing anything...and I do a lot of everything with it.

-Phillip

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width
Hey,
We have built a few 3" for the L3800. The way we build them it becomes an extension of the hub and centers the wheel to bare the load, so it won't effect the axle. Customers have told us the increased wheel base is noticeably more stable. We haven't heard from any customers that have had negative effects on their tractors.

Anybody else on here have 3" spacers and want to share your experience? We're here to learn as well!

If I order 2.5" or 3" spacers from you, what are your lead times? Do you make them as ordered or have some on the shelf ready to ship?

Do you offer any member discounts?

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #6  
Another option would be cast iron wheel weights. They don't add much to the width.

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width
Called and placed an order today with Motosports for 3" spacers. Should have them in about 2 weeks hopefully. I'll post pics and thoughts when I get them.

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #8  
Here is JD 4.1 inch factory spacers. The tires are set to the widest position eight and loaded with "RimGuard". Very stable for steep ground or loader work and the only thing I have to offer as a caution is that at that width I'm not well set up to pull a two bottom plow and have the right rear fall in the dead furrow.

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #9  
Called and placed an order today with Motosports for 3" spacers. Should have them in about 2 weeks hopefully. I'll post pics and thoughts when I get them.

Glad you called in! I'm only here Thursday and Friday on the forums, but the shop is open Monday through Friday 8-5 Pacific time. We know you'll love them!

/ Trying to decide on wheel spacers width #10  
I have a Kubota L3800 we bought new last fall. It's identical or close to identical to yours--R4 tires, 60" width, we got a 62" FEL 4-in-1 loader, etc. Its predecessor was a M5400 on which we had the rear wheels spread out as far as they would go. The L3800 felt unstable to me, compared to the M5400. I researched rear wheel spacers and decided to put a 4" spacer on each rear wheel. I asked my Kubota dealer to ask around in his shop to see if anyone had the opinion that 4" spacers would cause damage to the axles. No one voiced such an opinion, so I went with them. I am glad I did. If I had it to do over, I might consider even wider spacers. There is a definite improvement in stability, although the L3800 is still not as stable as the M5400 (or at least doesn't feel as stable). The rear tires are filled with fluid, so that also helps. I bought our spacers from this source and was very pleased with everything about doing business with him: Christian S. Hansen, The Tracks Company, Kubota John Deere Compact Tractor Utility Vehicle Wheel Spacers, (510) 601-7550, christianhan@earthlink.net.