John Deere 140 steering brakes

/ John Deere 140 steering brakes #1  

ecolbeck

Tractor
BCS
I have an older JD 140 which I assume is a 68 model since it has the 12 horsepower motor and lacks independent steering brakes. I'm curious if anybody has converted one of those to have independent rear brakes. Would doing that be sacrilegious? does a 1968 140 have any special value compared to its brothers from other years?

/ John Deere 140 steering brakes #2  
The 69 140 H-3 I had had steering brakes. Dont see why you couldnt retorfit those parts, but it would be cost and effort that you could probalby just pick up a complete tractor and sell yours.

In 70 or 71 they went with the newer transmssion with drum style brakes. Those are a more prefered tranny, quiter and a ton more of them around as they used them up through the 317.

Steering brakes are kind of worthless other than in snow though on a garden tractor in my opinion.

There is a bit of value to a collector as its the first year and the 12hp, but for someone that wants to use it not look at it, it has less hp and less features and some unique parts that are harder to come by if you need replacements, so in that case no.

BTW I have owned 5 140's over the years, love them, I'm sure I will find another some day.

/ John Deere 140 steering brakes #3  
I put a set from a 317 onto my 312 that I restored and it was pretty easy swapping out the pedals so you should be able to do the same if you find a set from another 140. They work well in soft soil for walking the tractor through a soft spot as each wheel loses traction or if you are going to be pulling a plow with it and using 3 point implements. I had to use them while leveling out a pile of top soil and sod last weekend and I'm glad I had them.