Homemade 3 pt receiver

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #1  

nh1520

Tractor
New Holland 1520
Picture of my homemade 3 pt receiver hitch I made for my New Holland 1520. Its very heavy duty for my sized tractor. The frame is 3" x 3/8" mild steel (mooched) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. The bottom bar is 3/4" thick (mooched off my brother-in-law). The 6" receiver tube (weld on) is from Weaver distributing (great source for trailer equipment and nice folks too). The receiver back plates and bottom plates are the same 3" x 3/8" steel. The receiver tube is bolted with 5/8" Grade 5 bolts. I was going to weld it on - but wanted to be able to take it off and use the multiple holes in the bar - I can also take off the receiver tube and bolt it temporarily to the front bucket for trailer moving as well. I welded everything with 7018 rod (clean steel and 2 passes on everything @ 130 amps).

I used to use a simple triangle set-up with a ball bolted to the base for trailering - I don't see much advantage of this new hitch over the triangle - except being heavier duty and being able to remove the receiver tube. Plus I can always buy another 2" step down hitch and quick change them out when needing 1 7/8" or 2" balls depending on which trailer I'm tugging on.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 314123-Hitch(small).jpg
    314123-Hitch(small).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,691
   / Homemade 3 pt receiver #2  
I like your design......someday I will also make one up. Looks great! But mine would just have to be orange /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #3  
That looks neat and a simple design to boot. I'm sure it's strong enough but I would add some gussets in the lower corners to help with the twisting forces. I'm sure it's not needed but that's just me.

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #4  
Very nice implement and something you will use for years to come, but you need to send me that top pin & get you a blue one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #5  
Nice looking tool.
What are the holes in your workbench?
Just curious.

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #6  
I'm gonna guess he has a vacuum setup for it.

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver
Thanks for the comments on the 3pt receiver. I thought about the gussets for anti-twisting on the sides but flopping around the heavy 2 1/2" x 3/4" thick bottom plate and how its welded the whole way around - I figured I see how it stood up before adding any. I don't pull that heavy of a trailer around anyway.

One thing I'm still thinking about is how to attach a short length of chain to the lift that loops under the drawbar to prevent the lift arms from going up too far - check chains I suppose they call them. I was thinking about welding 3/4" nuts to 3/4" bolts and installing a bolt/nut combo on each end of the bar in the far holes. Use an add a link to connect the chain. Might work - any suggestions.

The holes in the bench top is a past "bright" idea that I had to use plastic dogs (sp) (like on a B&D workmate setup) to help hold stuff from moving around when sanding / routing wood etc. I wasn't sure where to drill them so I just laid the whole top out and started drilling. I used a piece of 3/4" flakeboard and just attached a set of banquet table legs to the underneath. Its not that heavy duty - but I can knock it down for the space and all the holes lightened up the weight too. Its mostly a painting table and junk collector in the garage. Makes a good yard sale table too.

Thanks for the comments - I don't care for the red handle on the top pin either.

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #8  
i think if it were me i would "mooch" a piece of 2 inch square tubing to weld in between the top of the reciever tube and the bottom of the flatstock right below the toplink part. that thing will bend up like a pretzel the way ya have that flatstock now, a bit too much tounge weight and ya will bend that flatstock like nothing. flatstock just isnt real strong since it can kink easy, whereas angle or channel or tube has the strength to keep it from kinking as easily. it does look nice tho, and thats a neat idea ya had about the holes in the benchtop, alot of welding platens have square holes in a grid pattern to allow them to put in dogs that can align and clamp workpieces.

/ Homemade 3 pt receiver #9  
My Homemade 3 pt receiver

Attached is my 3 Pt receiver made from a boom pole support I had made about 20 years ago. The hitch is just used to move trailers around short distances etc. but it works great. I also attached old jeep front weight to it as a counter-weight for the front end loader. That is shown in the next attachment.

The bushing on the lift pins are for the quick hitch. (Speeco)

Jim

Attachments

• 316421-Hitch1.jpg
    316421-Hitch1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 578