It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D

/ It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D #21  
tilt.

/ It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D #22  
Self leveling? Looks like the dump ram may be tied into the circuit with the second ram on the LH side so that as it lifts, it shifts the amount of fluid in the dump ram??

Aaron Z

/ It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D
Yes, it is connected to the tilt cylinder. When lifting it will keep the angle of the bucket constant. A good thing when using forks.

This summer I also finished an electric lock using an actuator:

DSC09979.jpg DSC09978.jpg

This video shows both the electric locking pins and parallel movement when lifting.

Last edited:
   / It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D #24  
What did you use for a governor on the engine, if you have one? Very nice build.

No governor. It is a 55 hp 1.1 litre ( 67 CUI ) 4 cylinder engine from an early eighties european Ford Fiesta. I have the original Toro throttle lever connected to the throttle wire on the carburator, nothing more. I just use a high idle, about 2500 rpm and during high load ( pushing snow ) the rpm drops a bit but not too bad. I have been thinking about using some old cruise control parts that I removed from the Corvette, and build some active rpm control. But that is a future project.

Last edited:
Here on the right side you see all hydraulic controls.

The front lever closest to the seat is the XY-lever controling both lift and tilt.

Just behind is a lever that switch the tilt function over as an external function at the back of the tower. The hoses in the left lifting arm are connected to those ports. I use this to turn the snow blade.

Beside those ports there are two more, one is tank return, and the other is pump pressure after the main valve body for lift and tilt. By moving the hoses I can select functionality of the ports at the front.

Tank and pump ports are 'shorted' with a ball valve located just in front of the lift cylinder. The handle is pointing to the lifting cylinder in the picture. By closing that valve all unused oil is forced to the pump port at the back of the tower and can be used to drive an hydraulic motor without using the tilt lever.

There is one more ball valve behind the lifting cylinder and that handle is pointing up. By opening that valve the lowering side of the lifting cylinders are connected to the tank return line. That makes the lifting cylinders working as lift only and the bucket or snow blade can 'float' on the ground.

The last ball valve is located low on the side behind the red accumulator ball. that is connected to the lifting side of the lifting cylinders and that makes the lifting arms 'float' when driving with lifted load.

DSC09980.jpg DSC09981.jpg

A video using the tilt as external function with the snow blade.

And some more pictures.

DSC09985.jpg DSC09986.jpg

DSC09987.jpg DSC09989.jpg

Last edited:
   / It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D #27  
Now that was a fun timeline to view. Very, very nice ... and creative. Looks as much a work of fun and passion as one of utility!

So, what's next?

I have some parts to build a rotary sweeper, and it would be simple to make a forklift and a lifting boom.
I also have the original mower deck, but it would have to be converted to hydraulic drive or have an engine mounted on it.

A fun build would be a digger similar to those yuo can use on Bobcat. I have some ideas but no parts yet.
bobcat4.jpg

On the machine I think that rpm-control for the engine would be the next thing to do.

/ It was a TORO GROUNDSMASTER 217D #29  
I have some parts to build a rotary sweeper, and it would be simple to make a forklift and a lifting boom.
I also have the original mower deck, but it would have to be converted to hydraulic drive or have an engine mounted on it.

A fun build would be a digger similar to those yuo can use on Bobcat. I have some ideas but no parts yet.
View attachment 331868

On the machine I think that rpm-control for the engine would be the next thing to do.
Any more loader pictures?

Did you build a rotary sweeper or forklift?

Your machine is awesome! :thumbsup:

I probably have more pictures, but I don't think they show anything more. The last pictures were taken just before I posted.

No time to build the rotary sweeper or forklift yet, and I have other projects that are more important right now.

:drink: