Dual Wheels

/ Dual Wheels #1  

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
I've been contemplating increasing the width of my tractor to the widest setting, which would correct one of two issues. I've thought also about adding dual wheels to the rear. I understand it is much more expensive than simply swapping the wheels to get a wider stance, but in addition to a wider stance it also draws the center of gravity down on the tractor by putting more weight down low, and it puts more surface area on the ground for improved traction and less sinking going over soft ground.

I've found a couple solutions to add dual wheels to a tractor, but I was wondering what sorts of experiences folk here may have had with such additions and what was used.

/ Dual Wheels #2  
What type of tractor is it?

/ Dual Wheels
My Mahindra 4035HST, not one of the big boys that you typically see duals on, but I've seen duals on tractors smaller than the 4035 in the past, and there are several kits available for my rim/tire size, so was wondering what all kits people have used and what experiences were with them.

/ Dual Wheels #5  
The center of gravity of those duals is at the height of the wheel axle, really not that much lower than the tractors center of gravity...

/ Dual Wheels #6  
The tractor will roll when CG is outside of the widest point of the wheel contacting the ground. You can calculate the rolling angle:
Rolling angle=DEGREES(ATAN((Width/2)/CG_height))
In example:
CG height=2
Tractor width=5
Rolling angle=51 (100% reference)

Tractor width=5.5 (adding 3" wheel spacers)
Rolling angle=54
Improvement=6%

Tractor width=6.5
Rolling angle=58
Improvement=14.5%

Tractor width=7
Rolling angle=60
Improvement=18%

Tractor width=8
Rolling angle=63
Improvement=24%

/ Dual Wheels #7  
My Mahindra 4035HST, not one of the big boys that you typically see duals on, but I've seen duals on tractors smaller than the 4035 in the past, and there are several kits available for my rim/tire size, so was wondering what all kits people have used and what experiences were with them.

We ran band style duals on our 5000 & 5600 Fords. 5000 was 13.8 x 38's 5600 16.9 x 34 if I remember correctly. We did this for floatation and traction more than stability. A word of caution, run the duals at very low PSI to help prevent breaking the axle.

/ Dual Wheels
We ran band style duals on our 5000 & 5600 Fords. 5000 was 13.8 x 38's 5600 16.9 x 34 if I remember correctly. We did this for floatation and traction more than stability. A word of caution, run the duals at very low PSI to help prevent breaking the axle.

Are the band style the ones that use the "T-Bar" type attachment system? Basically a rim with no center and use connectors that connect them to the outer edges of the main center?
rear-4wd-t-rail-wheel-snap-on-clamp.jpg

I was not only going to run them a little lighter on the pressure, I was also planning on using a set of tires that are worn down a little compared to my main tires so they wouldn't make much contact on hard ground. The only time they'll make good contact is once the original wheel starts biting into the ground.

Last edited:
   / Dual Wheels #9  
Are the band style the ones that use the "T-Bar" type attachment system? Basically a rim with no center and use connectors that connect them to the outer edges of the main center?
View attachment 334538

I was not only going to run them a little lighter on the pressure, I was also planning on using a set of tires that are worn down a little compared to my main tires so they wouldn't make much contact on hard ground. The only time they'll make good contact is once the original wheel starts biting into the ground.

Yes, that is what I call band type. The only problem we ever had was mud packing in between the tires turning them into one long slimy mess.

If you get this style, tighten the clamp bolts, drive around for awhile, retighten bolts. May have to do this two or three times before everything gets seated and the bolts stay tight.

Installing them, we ran the rear tire up on a 4x plank and then just rolled the dual up in position. Hooked one of the bottom bolts, tipped the dual up and hooked one of the top bolts and started tightening them down.

removal, loosen the bolts and drive the dual over the 4x, 99% of the time the dual pops loose and you can roll it to the storage area.

/ Dual Wheels
Awesome, and thanks for the tips! Was the issue with the mud packing inside the rim or between the two tires on the spacer?

The other style available is a hub attachment. Anyone used those?