Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Default Re: Dual Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    I've been contemplating increasing the width of my tractor to the widest setting, which would correct one of two issues. I've thought also about adding dual wheels to the rear. I understand it is much more expensive than simply swapping the wheels to get a wider stance, but in addition to a wider stance it also draws the center of gravity down on the tractor by putting more weight down low, and it puts more surface area on the ground for improved traction and less sinking going over soft ground.

I've found a couple solutions to add dual wheels to a tractor, but I was wondering what sorts of experiences folk here may have had with such additions and what was used.
    Duallies are one way to go. Here's another idea

-mf135-stump1-1-jpg-mf135-stump2-jpg

That's my 1964 MF135 diesel -- a field tractor that's been modified for orchard work. The usual 28-32" dia rear wheels have been replaced by 16" dia wheels carrying BF Goodrich 6-ply 18.4-16A rubber (18" wide, 16" dia rim, 40" tall overall). The front axle spindles have been shortened to keep the tractor level. The rears are filled with water (no problem with freezing here in the North Sacramento Valley). Result: low CG and large track width = high flotation, stability on slopes. Those rears are stocked by many tire retailers that supply the agricultural market.

Good luck

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

Sweet ride, I've seen some of your pics of it in other threads. I bet it's a stump puller and a half. Those are not mods I'm willing to attempt on a brand new machine, and that's even before beginning a discussion about what would be involved in doing such mods to a 4WD. I'd rather the modification be a bolt-on of some sort.

My line of thinking was with a dually setup, especially the T-Bar type discussed on the previous page would be an ideal thing for part time use whereas swapping my tires around would give me width, but not something I'd change as often (sometimes I wouldn't want it really wide, which is why I initially chose the middle width setting for my tires). Another thought I had also was if I went with the dually setup, I could have my tire guy remove a few gallons of rimguard from the main tires and put it in the outers. Taking some of the rimguard weight from the uppermost parts of the inner tires and putting it down low in the outer tires would further draw down the center of gravity for when the hill work occurs, and it would lighten the tractor up when they're not installed for day to day flatland tasks...

Tractor
    BX2200, BCS 735

oldnslo, maybe something like this? Might give you some ideas.

Picasa Web Albums - Hurschel - Project
    Hate is like drinking poison, hoping your enemy will die. unknown author

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    oldnslo, maybe something like this? Might give you some ideas.

Picasa Web Albums - Hurschel - Project
    That appears to be the same way the T-Bar setup works except he's using the lugs and made extensions. Fella does nice work. For the larger tractors I'd think you would need some sort of a spacer at the hub to support those lug extensions depending on how much support goes on the spacer that fits between the rims. I'd still be worried on a machine weighing between 6000 and 8000 pounds depending on the setup.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Awesome, and thanks for the tips! Was the issue with the mud packing inside the rim or between the two tires on the spacer?
    Yes between the tires.

The other style available is a hub attachment. Anyone used those?
    I have driven tractors with this style and they require that the axle be long enough to support another hub. These allow for the option of "row crop" duals where you can straddle corn rows with duals on.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Tractor
    JD2555

I built a set of adaptors for my Ford 1100 sub compact 4wd tractor. I was in negotiations with a friend that had some bay front property over in the panhandle of Florida and I knew I would need some flotation to keep it from sinking. All I did was take a piece of 3 or 4 inch pipe, weld flanges on each end that had been drilled with the bolt pattern, with one side drilled and tapped. Bolted them on with the inside wheel bolts and then bolted the outside tire on. The outer tires were Ag, the inner ones were turf which were just a little taller than the Ag's. Sold the tractor later without duals, and the first trip around the yard the tractor broke an axle. Don't know if the duals had anything to do with that, but my Ford 7710 also broke not one but two axles and it had duals also.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12