cabs and cab heaters questions

/ cabs and cab heaters questions #11  
Mountain Man, race car fabricators TIG weld tubular frames up for their machines. Right there is a major component of a cab and would be a simple job for them. The roll over protection device is probably half of thr frame and is already in place /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

For the sides sandwiching reflective insulation( it comes in rolls. is about 3/8"thick with a silver Mylar finish) between tin and/or plywood/fiberglas would work for the sides and top. Also, there are windshield wipers off of SUVs or minivans that mount on the rear glass that can be used in the back or front windshield. A CJ Jeep has flat front winshields that would adapt nicely. The forgiveing thing with a tractor is, generally, weight is good so homemade stuff is easier. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ cabs and cab heaters questions
After looking at costs/aesthetics of Curtis and Femco (OEM for JD) soft side cabs, I might consider "rolling my own". Unfortunately, I've got several other projects started that I need to complete first. I've requested info from the other manufacturers to compare.

This excellent thread from DDT Cab in progress, shows how a talented fabricator can make a cab (IMHO) better (and much less expense) than the manufacturers.

/ cabs and cab heaters questions #13  
Mountain man,
I got a price of $1195.00 for a Curtis soft sided cab for my Kubota B2710. I have seen these cabs and they are very well built. I don't think I could make one as nice for half that amount. I was thinking of making a frame that would bolt around the ROPS out of thin wall tubing, than have a boat canvas maker make a cover for it. But I think he is going to want at least $400-500 and I have to make the frame. I think I'm better off just putting that money towards a Curtis cab! Now I just have to find the $$$$ some where, and I'll to be warm this winter! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ cabs and cab heaters questions #14  
I was thinking of getting a Curtis cab for my Kubota. I called them and asked for the mounting instructions so I would know what I was in for during installation. They sent it to me at no charge and it answered all my questions. They are located in Worcester MA and they do make a very good product...... the Junkman

/ cabs and cab heaters questions #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bob,
Thanks for the info and great picture of your Curtis Cab. If you've got more pixs available, please post them. A picture of how it mounts on to your tractor as well as the engine-heater hook-up would be great. )</font>

I will take a couple of pictures of the heater hook up to the engine. Here's a side view of the whole cab.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How difficult was the installation? Were any holes needed to be drilled?)</font>

The dealer installed it. He told me that his crew spends a lot of time on an installation.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How sturdy is the frame and does the cab rattle much? Does the cab amplify the noise? )</font>

Very sturdy, although it's not a ROPS cab. I do not notice any rattling but it definately amplifies the noise. I wear hearing protection and it doesn't bother me.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Did your existing alternator have sufficient capacity or did you need to upgrade? )</font>

I have the stock dymo on my tractor. It seems to handle the load fine. I have also added lights, though so I may upgrade to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• 324096-cab side.jpg
    324096-cab side.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 593
   / cabs and cab heaters questions #16  
You forgot Cover My Tractor they make a great cab I just got one for my John Deere 2305 and it looks great and works great
Do you realize how old this thread is ?