1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #1  

wploetz

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 60HST 60HP Diesel Compact 4WD Hydrostatic with factory cab, A/C, radio
OK, all you purists can shake your fingers at me. I have wrecked a perfectly good Ford 8n to make it into a Hot Rod Tractor
Name - Frank-N-Ford.

OK, this has been my side project for a while now. In memory of my father Frank and his faithful old 1949 Ford 8N tractor. Goal is to have it parade ready by spring 2014.

See my progress at
Frank-N-Ford

I am looking for mounting brackets for the Ford one arm loader for this tractor. Anyone have them?

I will update it as I progress.

A work in Progress - 8N
Added front bumper
Added Sherman Hi-Medium-Low transmission
Patch body work - preferably welded if I can.
Paint
Install 302 V-8 from 27HP to 220HP
Install roll bar
Install double seat
Add live auxillary hydrallics
Install One Arm Loader with Quick-Tach plate
Estimated completion date - 5/15/2014

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #2  
Interesting, I'd like to see how you mate the 302 to the transmission, keep us posted.
Steve

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #3  
abandon your search for 1-arm laoder brackets for an 8n that you have re-powered with a non oem engine.

the OE brackets were built SPECIFICALLY with the geometry of that flathead in mind.

you could of course devise your own setup. the trans bracket generally uses a sandwich plate aded upder the steering box and that attaches to an upright with a nub that then rides the bellhousing flange shareing some bolts

depending on what you do witht he front bolster is what would determine what you can do for a front bracket.

Now.. all that said. if the engine is wider by more than a couple inches than the oe L head.. then all bets are off as the geometry of the laoder will be off, and offsetting the tranny bracket to match the front bracket will reduce it's weight capacity drastically and change the center of gravity / lifting point and possibly make the unit extremely tippy..

I collect the 1-arm loaders.. the fordson dexta brackets ar ethe most rare.. followed by 8n brackets.. then the naa brackets, then t he rowcrop brackets, next the 3 cyl brackets. The most common, though still rare and getting harder to find by the day, brackets are the 4 cyl, 'large box' style tranny brackets for the 55-64 prior model fords. the 53-64 front ag and rowcrop brackets can be made via torch and welder. the tranny or hip brackets contain complex curves and are difficult to build if not near impossible due to steering arm clearance.

the loaders come in 2 basic variety. 3.5 and 5.5 inch box. the longer box are for the prior 4 cyl models. the short box are for the 65+ 3 cyl jobs.

rare conversion brackets exist.. but are like hens teeth.

past that.. you have the 711 and the 722. the 711 were meant to run off tractor hyds.. the 722 had a sump in the loader frame foot, and a pedistal for the valve bank, and originally came with a quick attach hyd pump that all went on and came off as an assembly. both 711 and 722 could be found as trip dump or hyd bucket. all were SA lift cyl.. etc.

any other info you need onthe 1-arm laoders I'd be glad to help you with where i can.

I have a half dozen or so mounted and in use.. all styles...

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #4  
There used to be (and still are) kits to put flat head V8's into the "n" tractors. As the engine is a stressed structural member on the machine, I wonder how you are planing on structuring it? Not being negative, just curious. It's a fun project. Keep posting your pictures, they are great.

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #5  
stauffer made some v8 plates

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion
I have the Awesome Henry OHV conversion kit.

It includes a flywheel the bolts the 8N clutch to the 302, a spacer that connects the motor to the transmission and a pan the the motor bolts into and the front end bolts back on to. It also has the parts to raise and lengthen the hood and to lengthen the radius tubes and tie rods. See it at V-8 Conversion Kit - Awesome Henry

Don is very helpful there.

newkit8a.jpg

Interesting, I'd like to see how you mate the 302 to the transmission, keep us posted.
Steve

I have the Awesome Henry OHV conversion kit.

It includes a flywheel the bolts the 8N clutch to the 302, a spacer that connects the motor to the transmission and a pan the the motor bolts into and the front end bolts back on to. It also has the parts to raise and lengthen the hood and to lengthen the radius tubes and tie rods. See it at V-8 Conversion Kit - Awesome Henry

Don is very helpful there.
newkit8a.jpg

stauffer made some v8 plates

Motor is a lot wider than the 4 cylinder. I see what you mean now. Thanks.

Anyone want to buy a one arm loader cheap? no controls and just 2 pieces of bracket that I don't know what the are for. 716-679-7715 Bill Dunkirk NY

abandon your search for 1-arm laoder brackets for an 8n that you have re-powered with a non oem engine.

the OE brackets were built SPECIFICALLY with the geometry of that flathead in mind.

you could of course devise your own setup. the trans bracket generally uses a sandwich plate aded upder the steering box and that attaches to an upright with a nub that then rides the bellhousing flange shareing some bolts

depending on what you do witht he front bolster is what would determine what you can do for a front bracket.

Now.. all that said. if the engine is wider by more than a couple inches than the oe L head.. then all bets are off as the geometry of the laoder will be off, and offsetting the tranny bracket to match the front bracket will reduce it's weight capacity drastically and change the center of gravity / lifting point and possibly make the unit extremely tippy..

I collect the 1-arm loaders.. the fordson dexta brackets ar ethe most rare.. followed by 8n brackets.. then the naa brackets, then t he rowcrop brackets, next the 3 cyl brackets. The most common, though still rare and getting harder to find by the day, brackets are the 4 cyl, 'large box' style tranny brackets for the 55-64 prior model fords. the 53-64 front ag and rowcrop brackets can be made via torch and welder. the tranny or hip brackets contain complex curves and are difficult to build if not near impossible due to steering arm clearance.

the loaders come in 2 basic variety. 3.5 and 5.5 inch box. the longer box are for the prior 4 cyl models. the short box are for the 65+ 3 cyl jobs.

rare conversion brackets exist.. but are like hens teeth.

past that.. you have the 711 and the 722. the 711 were meant to run off tractor hyds.. the 722 had a sump in the loader frame foot, and a pedistal for the valve bank, and originally came with a quick attach hyd pump that all went on and came off as an assembly. both 711 and 722 could be found as trip dump or hyd bucket. all were SA lift cyl.. etc.

any other info you need onthe 1-arm laoders I'd be glad to help you with where i can.

I have a half dozen or so mounted and in use.. all styles...

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #9  
Great thread and good luck.

/ 1952 Ford 8N 302 v8 conversion #10  
post a pics of the brackets and I'll tell you what they fit.

also post a pic of the box ont he loader upright, with a measure tape or ruler laid onthe front edge of the box to t he loader upright.. not on a corner.. that will tell us 3 cyl or 4 cyl. if it still has the data tin tag.. post the unit / component number and I can tell you what the loader was meant to be. IE.. 3/4 or 711/722

there are MINOR different breakout and lift max height specs for the different componet loader frames.