3pt carry all gravity box?

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #1  

lloyd430

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH 2005 TC40DA
Well folks here is my idea...... I burn coal for heat, I buy about 3/4 ton every couple of weeks, I have a homemade single axle dump trailer that i currently use, but its too low for the coal to flow in the basement window. SOOOOO I am thinking of making a box to go on the FEL or a box on the 3 pt hitch, either way it would have to be like a mini gravity wagon. That way I could pull up to the side of the house, raise to the height I need and ramp it through the basement window.

Open for ideas or suggestions as to if this is feasible. I have a NH TC40 with a 16a loader. I wouldn't get more than 3/4 ton at a time even though the coal bin in the basement holds 2.5 tons, I like to keep it full. I know people put a lot on the carry all's with firewood, but I was thinking more of the quick attachment on the FEL. I buy coal 1/4 mile down the road from my house, too easy to get and gives me tractor seat time.

Any input would be great!

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #2  
I have a TC40DA w/16A loader. It only gets about 1200 pounds up on a 4' pallet so keep your box as wide as possible and as close to the tractor front end.

Or
I am assuming you have a bucket for your loader? Mine is about 1/2 yard. Why not make a chute through the window and just dump the bucket into it? Then you wouldn't have to worry about your loader capacity

Well folks here is my idea...... I burn coal for heat, I buy about 3/4 ton every couple of weeks, I have a homemade single axle dump trailer that i currently use, but its too low for the coal to flow in the basement window. SOOOOO I am thinking of making a box to go on the FEL or a box on the 3 pt hitch, either way it would have to be like a mini gravity wagon. That way I could pull up to the side of the house, raise to the height I need and ramp it through the basement window.

Open for ideas or suggestions as to if this is feasible. I have a NH TC40 with a 16a loader. I wouldn't get more than 3/4 ton at a time even though the coal bin in the basement holds 2.5 tons, I like to keep it full. I know people put a lot on the carry all's with firewood, but I was thinking more of the quick attachment on the FEL. I buy coal 1/4 mile down the road from my house, too easy to get and gives me tractor seat time.

Any input would be great!

/ 3pt carry all gravity box?
I thought about that too, making a 6' box/chute outside and pouring in, only thoughts would be 2 or 3 trips more seat time though:thumbsup: any ideas on the 3pt end, I should be able to get the height when I raise up.

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #4  
I wish you luck, how much does 3/4 ton of coal cost?

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #5  
Your access to coal takes me back. Our coal yard shut down about 30 years ago. Now, I wouldn't know where to buy coal if I had to.

Coal up here is $240 ton loose, 3 ton min if delivered, $280 ton bagged. Cheapest most even heat I've ever had, I would not give it up! My dealer just sold out, new owners OK for now, but there are a couple of place within 20 minutes that sell coal, so I'm not too worried about it.

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #7  
My TC40DA does have much more guts on the 3PH either. I don't see how you can haul it all on one load with the tractor you have. 3 trips still beats shovelin'

I thought about that too, making a 6' box/chute outside and pouring in, only thoughts would be 2 or 3 trips more seat time though:thumbsup: any ideas on the 3pt end, I should be able to get the height when I raise up.

I'm thinking like a small gravity box 4'wide 4' tall and 2' deep with a pitch at the bottom to a coal chute. that would get me around 30+ square feet, they figure 40 for a ton of coal, but its actually 36 square feet. So in theory I could hold 1 ton, but i know I won't load it that full, do I put it on the FEL or on the 3pt? I scan some sketches tomorrow if I get a chance.

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #9  
If you put it on 3PH, it would help to have a hydraulic top link, you already have a tilt for FEL.
Just had another idea. If your dump trailer is too low to dump into basement window, how about making a ramp to back trailer onto? One less handliong of the coal?

/ 3pt carry all gravity box? #10  
Show a picture of your trailer. That might help, the 3pt with a dump well be low when dumped.