Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    NH 2005 TC40DA

Default 3pt carry all gravity box?

Well folks here is my idea...... I burn coal for heat, I buy about 3/4 ton every couple of weeks, I have a homemade single axle dump trailer that i currently use, but its too low for the coal to flow in the basement window. SOOOOO I am thinking of making a box to go on the FEL or a box on the 3 pt hitch, either way it would have to be like a mini gravity wagon. That way I could pull up to the side of the house, raise to the height I need and ramp it through the basement window.

Open for ideas or suggestions as to if this is feasible. I have a NH TC40 with a 16a loader. I wouldn't get more than 3/4 ton at a time even though the coal bin in the basement holds 2.5 tons, I like to keep it full. I know people put a lot on the carry all's with firewood, but I was thinking more of the quick attachment on the FEL. I buy coal 1/4 mile down the road from my house, too easy to get and gives me tractor seat time.

Any input would be great!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 60HST 60HP Diesel Compact 4WD Hydrostatic with factory cab, A/C, radio

Default Re: 3pt carry all gravity box?

I have a TC40DA w/16A loader. It only gets about 1200 pounds up on a 4' pallet so keep your box as wide as possible and as close to the tractor front end.

Or
    I am assuming you have a bucket for your loader? Mine is about 1/2 yard. Why not make a chute through the window and just dump the bucket into it? Then you wouldn't have to worry about your loader capacity

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd430 View Post
    Well folks here is my idea...... I burn coal for heat, I buy about 3/4 ton every couple of weeks, I have a homemade single axle dump trailer that i currently use, but its too low for the coal to flow in the basement window. SOOOOO I am thinking of making a box to go on the FEL or a box on the 3 pt hitch, either way it would have to be like a mini gravity wagon. That way I could pull up to the side of the house, raise to the height I need and ramp it through the basement window.

Open for ideas or suggestions as to if this is feasible. I have a NH TC40 with a 16a loader. I wouldn't get more than 3/4 ton at a time even though the coal bin in the basement holds 2.5 tons, I like to keep it full. I know people put a lot on the carry all's with firewood, but I was thinking more of the quick attachment on the FEL. I buy coal 1/4 mile down the road from my house, too easy to get and gives me tractor seat time.

Any input would be great!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    NH 2005 TC40DA

I thought about that too, making a 6' box/chute outside and pouring in, only thoughts would be 2 or 3 trips more seat time though any ideas on the 3pt end, I should be able to get the height when I raise up.

Tractor
    JD 3320, 820,400,255

I wish you luck, how much does 3/4 ton of coal cost?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Your access to coal takes me back. Our coal yard shut down about 30 years ago. Now, I wouldn't know where to buy coal if I had to.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    NH 2005 TC40DA

Coal up here is $240 ton loose, 3 ton min if delivered, $280 ton bagged. Cheapest most even heat I've ever had, I would not give it up! My dealer just sold out, new owners OK for now, but there are a couple of place within 20 minutes that sell coal, so I'm not too worried about it.

Silver Member
    Tractor

My TC40DA does have much more guts on the 3PH either. I don't see how you can haul it all on one load with the tractor you have. 3 trips still beats shovelin'

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd430 View Post
    I thought about that too, making a 6' box/chute outside and pouring in, only thoughts would be 2 or 3 trips more seat time though any ideas on the 3pt end, I should be able to get the height when I raise up.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    NH 2005 TC40DA

I'm thinking like a small gravity box 4'wide 4' tall and 2' deep with a pitch at the bottom to a coal chute. that would get me around 30+ square feet, they figure 40 for a ton of coal, but its actually 36 square feet. So in theory I could hold 1 ton, but i know I won't load it that full, do I put it on the FEL or on the 3pt? I scan some sketches tomorrow if I get a chance.

Silver Member
    Tractor

If you put it on 3PH, it would help to have a hydraulic top link, you already have a tilt for FEL.
    Just had another idea. If your dump trailer is too low to dump into basement window, how about making a ramp to back trailer onto? One less handliong of the coal?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Show a picture of your trailer. That might help, the 3pt with a dump well be low when dumped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast