It was a safety thing........strobes?

/ It was a safety thing........strobes? #1  

LAGEORGE

Gold Member
Tractor
busted up New Holland TC 24D hydro :(, Replacment NH TC 24D!
Since I purchased my tractor I have been worried about moving from one end of my property to the other via the public road as well as working near it. So after much though and research I finally bit the bullet and purchased a strobe system to install on my NH TC 24D. The system consists of 6 strobe heads, 2 in the headlight assembly, 2 in the forward sides and 2 in rear on the sides as well. An 80-watt power supply under the hood powers system with and array of custom wired switches controlling the strobes activation, power level and flash type. The system was expensive and not easy to install. Working on a small tractor with very limited space takes patience. The stock power supply is not waterproof nor is the switches and rotary knob they sell with the system so custom work had to be implemented to make the system waterproof.
The strobe system has so far preformed well and has keep me out of trouble on the road plus they look way cool. My tractor looks like a Cal Trans loader backhoe with the pro strobes on but really it was a safety thing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

George

Attachments

• 327442-LA_GEORGE_TC24D_Strobe_profile.jpg
    327442-LA_GEORGE_TC24D_Strobe_profile.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,589
   / It was a safety thing........strobes?
Here is a close up of the waterproof switches that control the strobes.

Attachments

• 327443-LA_GEORGE_TC24D_Strobe_switchs.jpg
    327443-LA_GEORGE_TC24D_Strobe_switchs.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,120
Here is a shot of the not so permanent location of the rear strobe. The reason not to mount them fixed is due to the need move them facing the rear when needed. I really am not sure if I will end up just mounting them where they are and relying on the stock factory rear flashers.
Also note I added a LED marker light under the strobe it really complements the lighting package on the tractor.

George

Attachments

• 327447-LA_GEORGE_TC24D_Strobe_rear.jpg
    327447-LA_GEORGE_TC24D_Strobe_rear.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,122
   / It was a safety thing........strobes? #4  
That last picture is screwed up, you better reload it.

/ It was a safety thing........strobes? #5  
What brand are those switches and where can they be purchased?????? thanks... the Junkman

I got my Ancor Products switches at go2marine.com they were hard to find but they had them in stock and 2 days later I had them. When I went looking for them for you I noticed that they had lots of other switches all waterproof. I kind of wish I would have gone with one that had a LED indicator rater then the incandescent bulb. But take a look for yourself they have lots of different types.

Try typing in "ancor switch" in the seach box on their website. Otherwise you will not find it.

George

Ancor Products at go2marine.com

go2marine.com

Attachments

• 327462-circuit_breakers_pag65.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 678
   / It was a safety thing........strobes? #7  
For someone who is VERY /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif at their tractor, you sure put a lot of time and energy (and money...?) into this project.

It looks FANTASTIC! Super cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!

Mark

PS What was your total $ investment in the whole light set up?

/ It was a safety thing........strobes? #8  
That is the coolest light setup I have ever seen /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 327496-fonzi cool.jpg
    327496-fonzi cool.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 568
   / It was a safety thing........strobes? #9  
WOW.

I do have questions about the strobes. First, how bright are they in relation to the factory flashers? Second, why are the rear lights mouned facing the side of the tractor instead of the back of the tractor? In your original post you said you work near the roadway and you move on the roadway so do you rely on the rear factory lights to protect your back? Or do you work in the road with the sides of the tractor facing oncoming cars?

I am working on the ditches at my property and find myself in the roadway quite a bit. Often with the sides of the tractor facing cars, but most cars travel at modest speeds on our road; still, I have wondered about being smacked in the side while working.

/ It was a safety thing........strobes? #10  
I recognize the lighting that he has installed. It is the same device that you see now on modern police cars and emergency vehicles. The bulb unit goes into a small hole that you drill in the housing of your present lighting. Some of the newest units for emergency use now power them down to half power when the vehicle is put into neutral or park so it doesn't blind the oncoming drivers....