I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes......

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #1  

TBDonnelly

Veteran Member
In the palm of Michigan's Lower Peninsula
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, KL130 FEL, turf tires
I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes......

This project started as an update of my original tired halogen based light bar. It encompasses a new waterproof electric switch box, new switches, 30 watt LED light bar, 36 watt LED rear work flood, 2 synchronizable 12 watt amber safety strobes and 2 LED side marker lights.

IMG_3184.JPG
I searched long and hard to find a suitable box to house the electrical switches. What I used was a box by 'Underwater Kinetics'(UK) known as the Ultrabox 307. What I liked about the Ultrabox was it's waterproof and it was set-up with a 'ledge' inside the box to accept an electric panel. My size requirements were 'tight', wanted the box to fit between the seat and the fender. The Ultraboxes came in several sizes and are all set-up for electrical panels. I fabricated a panel from some sheet metal I had on hand. Promptly drilled a large hole in the bottom of the box and mounted it on a 1 1/4" offset electrical conduit.

IMG_3118.JPGIMG_3114.JPGIMG_3161.JPGIMG_3154.JPG

The front facing light bar has 6 - 5 watt LED totaling 30 watts. Centered on a 3" wide piece of aluminum 'C' channel (reused). Purchased from Exploration Outfitters.
Thanks to a TBN members' recommendation.
IMG_3173.JPGIMG_3150.JPGIMG_3148.JPGIMG_3177.JPGIMG_3190.JPG

The rear facing light is an oval shaped flood, is 36 watts and has a patterned lens that emits an incredibly balanced/even spread of light. Also rear facing are 2 - 12 watt amber safety strobes, visible day and night and have about 20 different flash patterns to pick from. Strobes were purchased from strobesandmore.com(Thanks to TBN'r coyotemachine) Oval flood was a 'TMH Lighting' product purchased through Amazon. When I purchased the oval strobe Amazon had them stocked(AKA 'fulfilled by Amazon') Otherwise they come from China.

IMG_3171.JPGIMG_3137.JPGIMG_3135.JPGIMG_3187.JPG

I had an extra 4" or so on the side bar stock pieces. Instead of cutting them off I mounted side marker LED lights on them.

IMG_3158.JPGIMG_3159.JPGIMG_3182.JPG

Comments: I keep my roll bar(ROPS) on the 'middle' setting which is angled, reason being, I can just fit the tractor in the storage building without having to lower the roll bar on entry. I mounted the 3" aluminum C channel on a piece of 3/4" all-thread rod (I used what I had) that is locked into position by two nuts on either end of the all-thread. If my storage building grows in height and I can use the roll bar in the full vertical position, I can merely rotate the all-thread rod to level up the lights. I also incorporated blocks of rubber from the roll bar hinges on up through the C Channel for a vibration dampening effect. The white panel in the pic's is a 'light visor', it blocks the front facing light bar from blinding me when I turn backwards to see the snow blade.

Thanks for viewing my LED light project!

Don

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #2  
Re: I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...

Beautiful job looks great and effective light

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #3  
Re: I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...

Very nice.
I have been meaning to do something like this. I have the same issue getting my tractor into my storage building with the ROPS up. I am going to mark this thread for future use... thanks for posting.

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #4  

Nice job Don. I've just about got everything swapped out with LED's now and I'm not sorry for doing it. The only ones not done are the front hood headlights and they'll be next. Your going to really enjoy those led lights. :thumbsup:

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #5  

Very nice job! Right up my alley!

I just don't like LED lights for their inability to melt away snow!

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes......

Hi Paul! (4shorts)
Your work is inspirational! Almost a religious type experience! :)
Thanks for the kind words! It means a lot!
Don

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #7  

Hi Paul! (4shorts)
Your work is inspirational! Almost a religious type experience! :)
Thanks for the kind words! It means a lot!
Don

:laughing: Thanks Don. I thought you using the box for the switches was genius. I bet you hate day light hours now. You might just become nocturnal now :laughing:

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes...... #8  

Looks great, I have the same light bar isnt it amazing how much light it throws. Is that the spot or flood light bar?
I have the Whelen Mini Century Super LED Lightbar from strobes n more it is great they have good prices.

/ I've seen the (LED) light & gone to the other side. Light bar, flood & strobes......

Looks great, I have the same light bar isnt it amazing how much light it throws. Is that the spot or flood light bar?
I have the Whelen Mini Century Super LED Lightbar from strobes n more it is great they have good prices.

It was your post I saw about the light bar. Thanks for posting the info! The light bar is the 'flood' version. ExplorationOutfitters had a couple listed on Ebay which included a complete wire harness, with a switch, relay and fuse for $5 extra. It's the teardrop shaped switch in the switch box. I almost went with the Whelen. The two separate strobes worked out better for my setup and gave me more separation between light fixtures and are expandable to sync up with other 'E' series Strobes(and More). Not that I plan to add on any additional strobes.:rolleyes:

Don

:laughing: Thanks Don. I thought you using the box for the switches was genius. I bet you hate day light hours now. You might just become nocturnal now :laughing:

Out of the entire project I was really pleased with the switch box. It became affectionately known as the waterproof box with the hole in the bottom.

Link for UK Ultra boxes: http://www.uwkinetics.com/cases/ultrabox#.UxTyEYUXSM8

I also need to thank 'Mother Nature' for the incredible backdrop I used for the pictures! Locally, we have eclipsed the five snowiest winter seasons dating back to the late 1800's. About 10" more and it will be the snowiest season on record. Completing this LED lighting project practically guarantees a light(pun or not?)winter season next year!

Don

Last edited: